Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA $ 1 Coin versus $ 1 bill.... yes or no ??

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm " young" ( only 66 ) but my first real job was at a cement factory at age 17 between my junior and senior years in high school. I made $ 50 a week ( $1.25 an hour). This was 1960.
    By 1965, I was in the Big Leagues as a college graduate ! I went to work for a large corporation for... hold your breath now.... $ 5,564 a year ! And my dream was to some day, in the far future, of making, ( gasp !...) $ 10,000 a year.

Comment

I've never forgotten that before I went off to University in the early 90s, office junior jobs (the bottom rung on the ladder) were advertised for between £6000-8,000. At the end of a recession. When I came back three years later, the same jobs were being advertised at £4000-£6000. Given the economy was recovering in those 3 years from Black Monday in '92, I still haven't worked out why the wages went down so much.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS_Liv
        I still haven't worked out why the wages went down so much.
        They had to get the money for the executive bonuses from somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
          Nothing wrong with the quarters as currently
          Except that the new quarters don't look like quarters. Having non-standard images on a coin is too confusing. I ought to be able to look at a coin immediately and know that it is an American quarter without turning it over to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
            Nothing wrong with the quarters as currently
            Except that the new quarters don't look like quarters. Having non-standard images on a coin is too confusing. I ought to be able to look at a coin immediately and know that it is an American quarter without turning it over to be sure.
            Your opinion is completely ok but I tend to disagree. # 1, 99.99% of any quarter-sized coin you end up with in your hand IS a USA one, so why worry about it ? # 2, the State ( and now National Parks) reverses have stimulated interest in coin collecting for kids as well as offering excellent educational opportunities for them. # 3, what extra expense the Mint is incurring by having all these different reverses is quite probably exceeded by the income derived from sales of rolls ( at a premium) to collectors and dealers.
            Now, having said all that, although I have no objection to the 10-years-to-come National Parks quarters, I think the 10 years of States was enough. The Mint's trying too hard here.

FINALLY... do you all know you have seen the last of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the penny ?! Starting this year ( 2010) the reverse will have a Union emblem instead. In my non-humble opinion it looks like a subway token.

Comment

the State ( and now National Parks) reverses have stimulated interest in coin collecting for kids as well as offering excellent educational opportunities for them.
              They have presidential dollars now too. My son cracked open his piggy bank and guy at the bank gave him about five different ones in exchange for his pennies. Now, of course, he doesn't want to spend them.

Comment

FINALLY... do you all know you have seen the last of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the penny ?! Starting this year ( 2010) the reverse will have a Union emblem instead. In my non-humble opinion it looks like a subway token.
                Yeah, I don't much like it either:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2010_cent_reverse.jpg

Comment

Your opinion is completely ok but I tend to disagree. # 1, 99.99% of any quarter-sized coin you end up with in your hand IS a USA one, so why worry about it ?
                  Could be one of those elusive Canadian quarters... then you're only getting about 23 cents.

This reminds me of a story (told to me in high school, so who can be sure of its veracity). When the Loonie was first introduced in Canada, it was noted that its size and weight was similar to a British coin (twenty pence, maybe?). Not that there were any twenty pence pieces floating around in Canada, but if you were lucky enough to have a few, apparently vending machines couldn't tell the difference between them -- which was quite a good deal!

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                    the State ( and now National Parks) reverses have stimulated interest in coin collecting for kids as well as offering excellent educational opportunities for them.
                    They have presidential dollars now too. My son cracked open his piggy bank and guy at the bank gave him about five different ones in exchange for his pennies. Now, of course, he doesn't want to spend them.
                    I think the Presidential Dollars are just super for educational purposes. Every time a new one comes out, I mail it to each of my 3 grandsons, along with a letter giving a one paragraph bio of the Prez in question. Of course my 3 grandsons are all age 4 or less, but hopefully their parents are holding onto them for future reading.

Comment

Can you send them to my kids too :wink:

Comment

Re: USA $ 1 Coin versus $ 1 bill.... yes or no ??

Speaking of coins!
                        Thye found some from this guy called Al from the first century.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100304/ap_ ... ient_coins
                        phsstt!

Comment

Re: USA $ 1 Coin versus $ 1 bill.... yes or no ??

Paper bills are so passe. :roll:

This gives a whole meaning to paying with plastic.
                          http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/03/0 6/ott-plastic-money.html

Comment

Working...
                          X