Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manned Mars Mission & You?

(assuming the technology existed) Would you go on a mission to Mars if offered the opportunity as an untrained/non-astronaut passenger, knowing that in the eight years it would take to arrive, and eight to return, you wouldn't see anyone you know on Earth?

Re: Manned Mars Mission & You?

Originally posted by Bijan
    (assuming the technology existed) Would you go on a mission to Mars if offered the opportunity as an untrained/non-astronaut passenger, knowing that in the eight years it would take to arrive, and eight to return, you wouldn't see anyone you know on Earth?
    Not at my age. When I was an Ensign in the Navy and owed Uncle Same 5 years anyway, if I had not been engaged, and they had asked me, I would have thought about it for a while . . . and then said no. Too long cooped up in a fragile (compared to what the universe has to offer in terms of danger) container. But the awe and wonder of landing on Mars . . . that woulda been sumpin!! 8-)

Comment

Trip

Somehow I don't envision any passengers w/ (growing) children either.

Comment

Is your 16 years time factor accurate ? I have not thought/read about this in a long time but I thought it was more like less than a year each way if the mission took place at a favorable time vis a vis the two orbits.
        Help from the experts here, please.

Comment

Mission

I've heard eight years each way w/ our most advanced rocket fuel. We are talking 36 million miles (moon is 240,000) in distance.

However, I saw this:

http://www.universetoday.com/guide-to-s ... t-to-mars/

Comment

Considering that your muscles would probably all wither, you would collect more deadly radiation than if you moved next door to Chernobyl and no one would recognize you when you got back, I would say....no.

Comment

Re: Mission

Originally posted by Bijan
              I've heard eight years each way w/ our most advanced rocket fuel. We are talking 36 million miles (moon is 240,000) in distance.

However, I saw this:

http://www.universetoday.com/guide-to-s ... t-to-mars/
              Thanks bijan. I am no expert but the times mentioned here are about what I remembered.

So back to your original question... 16 years ? Absolutely no way I would go even if younger.

But a year, or year and a half ? I'd go tomorrow !

Comment

Other than a government boondoggle, I cannot think of any reason, except personal curiosity, for humans to go to Mars.. or any other planet for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                  Other than a government boondoggle, I cannot think of any reason, except personal curiosity, for humans to go to Mars.. or any other planet for that matter.
                  Amen. I haven't even been to Hawaii, Alaska or North Dakota yet!

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                    Originally posted by lonewolf
                    All, in their own way, are well worth visiting... and logistically much easier to get to than Mars.

Comment

You have to weigh time + risk verses award. Mars, no way!

I would spend a year in a spacecraft IF , its safe and we get to go to an alien planet and have a meet and great with the nice Creatures there and there's beer and cheese.

16 years in a tin can to see a red rock, are you kidding me?
                      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                        I would spend a year in a spacecraft IF , its safe and we get to go to an alien planet and have a meet and great with the nice Creatures there and there's beer and cheese.
                        Like Wallace and Gromit in A Grand Day Out?
                        Preferably Wensleydale.

Comment

As a fan of Heinlein`s Stranger In A Strange Land I would go in a heartbeat...as a person who spent the better part of two years bedbound I understand the term "Stir Crazy" all to well.
                          Adding to what Squack said------ if females, fermented beverages , bread,cheese and bacon awaits,even the post `97 me is on his way .

todays truth :

I`m just not that brave anymore.
                          Tom Hyland:
                          "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

So I'm going to give up...

football
                            sex
                            track

...for 16 years to go someplace with nothing there?'

Wow that's a tough one

Comment

Originally posted by Avante
                              So I'm going to give up...

football
                              sex
                              track

...for 16 years to go someplace with nothing there?'

Wow that's a tough one
                              Well depending who's on board you may have more sex then ever and weightless. But how do you hump in zero gravity? mmmmmmm
                              phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                              X