Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

people should leave big animals alone...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• people should leave big animals alone...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...0,942688.story

Human trainer vs. 12,000 lb. orca while people dining peered through the underwater viewing windows. The article says the whale had been involved in the deaths of two other people. If they can't be released and survive and are used to entertain the public instead, at least it might be best stay out of the tank and let powerful creatures be...

Re: people should leave big animals alone...

Originally posted by jhc68
    at least it might be best stay out of the tank and let powerful creatures be...

There's been several witnesses who state the orca snatched the trainer off the deck.

Pretty amazing they would have an animal that hs been involved in two other human-death incidents, and has to be segregated from the other animals due to it's violent "nature", involved in public shows.
    There are no strings on me

Comment

I spent 2 summers doing the sound (changing music/mic levels) for the killer whale show at Marine World/Africa USA. Even though the tank was a million gallons its seemed tiny when you think of how big these animals are. One day the whale hit its head on a sprinkler when it jumped too far, stunned but recovered. I'm no longer a big fan of making these whales perform for people. I did heard stories of killer whales suddenly "turning" on their trainers, does that surprise anyone?

BTW- On my last day of employment the offered me a ride around the pool on top of one of the orcas, i declined.
      phsstt!

Comment

I just saw something recently that showed an orca whale taking down a great white shark. He had it clutched in his mouth. Pretty impressive actually.

IMO these creatures have no business being in tanks. The same goes for dolphins, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 502CD
          I just saw something recently that showed an orca whale taking down a great white shark. He had it clutched in his mouth. Pretty impressive actually.

IMO these creatures have no business being in tanks. The same goes for dolphins, etc.
          They are one of the fastest swimmers in the open ocean, 30 knots. Males are around 25 feet long and 12,000 lbs. Biggest ever , 32 ft and 20,000 lbz. So a great white? No problem!

Oh by the way they are a member of the dolphin family and incredibly smart.
          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            [Oh by the way they are a member of the dolphin family and incredibly smart.
            Possibly have a nasty streak too, like us. Or like a cat playing with a mouse. I remember seeing amazing footage when they were playing "catch" with a live seal. Obviously it was dinner but they played with it first.

Comment

My family and I walked out out of Seaworld n FLA because it was so distressing seeing those magnificent creatures performing like circus monkeys (which is also appalling). Both our young daughters were so distraught they cried.

The tank in Victoria where Tillicum was first held (and also killed a trainer) was no bigger than a swimming pool.

That poor animal has been tormented all his life.The death is a tragedy of course but it is time to end the captivity of whales. Maybe this will be the tipping point?

No more caught in the wild and no more bred in captivity.

Once you see whales in their natural enviroment you can never see them in a jail cell.

People can see them on TV or go on whale watching trips.

Comment

I did heard stories of killer whales suddenly "turning" on their trainers, does that surprise anyone?
                Not when their name is KILLER whale. I too used to be a fan of those shows, but I'm on the 'Free Willy' bandwagon now.

Comment

Also, remember the CT chimp that went ballistic and ripped off a womans face and hands?

The Tiger in SF zoo.

We should never be surprised when animals revert to instinct.

Comment

To be fair, the trainers love these animals who are well fed, cared for and giving lots of affection but, i am now also turned off by circus animals being made to do tricks.

Endangered animals in a large natural habitat who dont perform i dont have a problem with.

All of the Killer Whales in captivity have a dorsal fin that instead of being erect like those in the wild, lay over like a wet noodle.
                    phsstt!

Comment

All of the Killer Whales in captivity have a dorsal fin that instead of being erect like those in the wild, lay over like a wet noodle.
                      This site addresses the dorsal fin. I had no idea captivity caused this.

In relation to the size of the creature, the dorsal fin of the male orca is quite large, as much as 1.8 m high. Many (30-100%) captive killer whales (orcas) experience collapse of the dorsal fin, possibly because lack of exercise through turning leads to diminished muscle tone. (Only about 1% of wild orcas have collapsed dorsal fins.)

Comment

Originally posted by 7-sided
                        This site addresses the dorsal fin. I had no idea captivity caused this.

In relation to the size of the creature, the dorsal fin of the male orca is quite large, as much as 1.8 m high. Many (30-100%) captive killer whales (orcas) experience collapse of the dorsal fin, possibly because lack of exercise through turning leads to diminished muscle tone. (Only about 1% of wild orcas have collapsed dorsal fins.)
                        And the sight of the collapsed fin makes the orca look depressed, warrented or not.
                        phsstt!

Comment

If a biology professor can kill her boss for a perceived sleight, why not an orca?
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I refuse to go to the circus. I hate seeing the animals like that.
                            You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Both our young daughters were so distraught at suddenly leaving Sea World they cried.
                              Fixed! :twisted: Seems more likely.
                              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Working...
                              X