Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Are Some Games (a la Curling) Segregated by Gender?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Are Some Games (a la Curling) Segregated by Gender?

If curling is not a "sport" (by the consensus definition of these boards), why are teams segregated by gender?

Do male bobsledders have a gender advantage?

Bowlers?

Are there any "sports" at all, where on a collegiate, AAU, or international federation level, competition is not restricted by gender? Which games do you think bear no advantage to males?

Re: Why Are Some Games (a la Curling) Segregated by Gender?

Originally posted by Bijan
    If curling is not a "sport" (by the consensus definition of these boards), why are teams segregated by gender?
    There is a strength component to sweeping.

The curling federation is pushing to get mixed curling(2+2) included in the Olympics.

Do male bobsledders have a gender advantage?
    The start, and bodyweight inside the sled.
    There are no strings on me

Comment

Are there any "sports" at all, where on a collegiate, AAU, or international federation level, competition is not restricted by gender? Which games do you think bear no advantage to males?

The three Olympic equestrian events are open and not gender specific.

Comment

I posed the question to my younger brother asking aobut sports that were mixed gender after suggesting NCAA rifle and he replied with the following:

dog agility competitions
        some burro races
        poker
        most special olympic sports (since people are mainly grouped by ability, age and gender do not matter much)
        sailing
        competitive eating
        mixed doubles tennis
        ride and tie competitions
        some running road races, where the elite women get a head start and try to beat the first man to the finish
        many motorsports, like drag racing, Nascar, Indy car etc.
        adventure racing (many events require co-ed teams)

Comment

i'd like to know why chess is segregated by gender.

there were some shooting events at the olympics that were mixed genders, but i believe they were reduced in number (some were separated to men's and women's events), but there might be one or two left that are still mixed.

maybe archery could be mixed gender?

Comment

Originally posted by cacique
            i'd like to know why chess is segregated by gender.
            Chess doesn't have "men" and "women", but "general" and "women". And practically all tournaments other than national, regional or world championships only have "general".

Judit Polgár, the strongest female player in the world for some 20 years now (and the only one to ever have been really competitive against the top men, with the arguable exception of Vera Menchik eighty years ago) has never become Women's World Champion simply due to only playing men.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
              I don't believe at all that strength is a limiting factor for the women who compete internationally.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I have to admit that gender separation is the least of the mysteries about curling.
                I don't have a clue about a single aspect of the game... even down to those cool shoes they wear. How do they work, where do you get them and how come they curlers aren't always falling on their asses the way I would?
                The Rocks, the House, the T line, the Button, the scoring system, the point of the game, how the winner is determined... none of it makes makes the slightest sense to me. I guess if I were more motivated I'd study up on Wikipedia, but honestly I think the game is probably more interesting if I stay clueless.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                  Originally posted by guru
                  I don't believe at all that strength is a limiting factor for the women who compete internationally.

The men have a greater margin of error in delivery weight.
                  There are no strings on me

Comment

I think shooting in the Olympics used to be mixed gender. It's now divided, probably
                    to allow more women to compete and win medals.

Comment

There is also the Putnam Mathematical Exam for undergraduates and the International Mathematical Olympiad for high school that are gender neutral. However, like in chess both are heavily dominated by males, even though a lot of women now do graduate level mathematics.

Comment

Working...
                      X