Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soccer about to finally get it right?

They're actually seriously considering scrapping what I think is the worst rule they have: offsides.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02032010/ ... sides.html

Re: Soccer about to finally get it right?

Quite obviously, the author knows nothing about hockey. They abandoned a 2-line, not a blue line offside. Huge difference.

If soccer outlaws offside, it would become a totally different game. I have hard time imagining it.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I would like soccer to not have an offside call once the ball is within about 15 or 20 yards of the goal. Make the defense play defense once the ball is in scoring position. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
        Quite obviously, the author knows nothing about hockey. They abandoned a 2-line, not a blue line offside. Huge difference.

If soccer outlaws offside, it would become a totally different game. I have hard time imagining it.
        To us "hockey" is the ice version; this is the field-hockey dude. To them, that's hockey, sans modifier.

(and the IOC obviously has rules about this; made me crazy that every time the announcers used the word hockey in the arena--or it went on a screen--it had "ice" before it)

Comment

Sounds like a great idea. Offsides calls are sometimes so dubious that everyone spends half the time looking at the linesman. Also the sin bin would be interesting.

Comment

They cannot totally abolish off-sides, or cherry-picking - just sitting in front of goal - will make soccer a stupid game. They need to bring back the NASL rule: a line 35 yards out, that an offensive player cannot cross until the ball has preceded him.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              They cannot totally abolish off-sides, or cherry-picking - just sitting in front of goal - will make soccer a stupid game. They need to bring back the NASL rule: a line 35 yards out, that an offensive player cannot cross until the ball has preceded him.
              Yep, getting rid of the off-sides rule all together would be silly. 35-yard line seems a bit far, but I'm not opposed to something closer to 25 yards....

Comment

Watching hockey games in Canada, it dawned on me that hockey (ice hockey to the IOC as Garry pointed out) is a beautifully designed game with its offsides and icing rules. It really does prevent cherry picking and makes the players pass the puck and not just dump it in the zone, and I know the game reasonably well having grown up in New England. I'm sure they could come up with somewhat similar rules for soccer (football to the rest of the world), with the equivalent of blue lines to prevent cherry picking and make certain players must play the entire field. I think it would speed up the game and make it more exciting. Right now, from what I see the players do not have to play as much defense as they could, because the offside rule does part of it for them. But I am no football expert.

Comment

Interesting, I just read an article not too long ago about the decision from back in the old old days to change offsides to being behind 2 men (including goalkeeper) as it is today from 3 men as it used to be. Apparently things were just getting totally ridiculous with over 40 offside decisions per game, though some purists claimed the new rule eliminated the subtleties of build up play. Funny how stuff works out.

On a similar note, hopefully we'll get rid of false starting next!

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
                    Watching hockey games in Canada, it dawned on me that hockey (ice hockey to the IOC as Garry pointed out) is a beautifully designed game with its offsides and icing rules....
                    Except that the "beautiful design" has had many iterations. Without looking it up, until around 1930 you couldn't carry the puck across the blueline; it had to be passed. Then around 1940 they invented the redline. And it has only been 2-3 years since they decided the "2-line pass" was legal again, which is somewhat equivalent to removing the offsides rule in soccer.

The point is that, IMHO, anything that is conducive towards producing a faster, north-south oriented game (which usually means higher scoring, of course) is something to be welcomed.

If you want tactical positioning, watch curling :-)

Comment

what I hate about football is that they don't stop the clock when the games is 'dead'.
                      This way people are going to fake injuries at the end of the game in order to delay the game. It provoces ofcourse a lot of irritating from the other teams (and fans).
                      The second thing is electronic, help like video. There are to many doubtfull descisions like red/yellow cards, off-side, hands, etc. that can easy be solved with a quick video replay.

But the fifa is a very very conservative organisation, I don't expect any change soon.

Comment

I do not like the referring approach in soccer. They get too many calls wrong and that is when they have the best officials. The further down you get the less skill there is and with only one guy being able to call things young players in the US learn to get by with roughness rather than skill. Even when the refs know what is going on they rarely do anything about it, for fear of interfering with the 'watchability' of the game (even when only a handful of parents are watching). In three years of girls soccer (ages 11-13), I have never seen a yellow card, my daughter has never seen one (nor any of her teammates), and the referee-parent of a my daughter's friend has never seen one. Hundreds of games - clearly there is a policy (actual or de facto, it does not matter) to not call yellows.

Comment

As a late comer to soccer, via 8 year old grandson's soccer league, I went online and read the rules. :shock: Is there any other sport that has so many rules and variation of rules?. What the heck is offsides? What is the intent of the offside rule(s)? Does anyone actually understand the many mutations of "offsides". Does anyone even understand and recognize any kind of offsides when it happens?

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                            As a late comer to soccer, via 8 year old grandson's soccer league, I went online and read the rules. :shock: Is there any other sport that has so many rules and variation of rules?.
                            1.What the heck is offsides? What is the intent of the offside rule(s)?
                            2.Does anyone actually understand the many mutations of "offsides".
                            3.Does anyone even understand and recognize any kind of offsides when it happens?
                            1. A player is offside when at the moment of the pass, there is no defender between him and the goalline (anywhere, not necessarily close to him).

2. There is only one kind.

3. Yes .
                            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

lonewolf - the only permutations of an offside call come when you're a supporter or player. If a decision goes your way you appreciate the officials for their laser-like eyesight and swift decision making ability. If the call goes against your team you judge the officials to be either incompetent and/or corrupt.

I'm fine with the offside rule as it is and see no reason to change. We certainly don't need forwards camping out in the opposing half or hanging around on the goal line when the ball is in the box. However, unless you're a football fan it's probably tough to appreciate the timing skills of attacking players staying onside, or defenses setting offside traps. During the Winter Games I asked a Canadian friend to explain the rules of hockey. I thought I had at least a basic understanding until I watched some games. Despite her explanations, I was clueless.

The rules I'd like to see changed are bringing limited video replays to the professional game to counter instances like Thierry Henry's handball against Ireland; more players booked or sent off for diving in the box; penalizing defenders for blatant assaults on forwards during corners (see Drogba getting rugby tackled by an Inter Milan defender a few days ago).

Comment

Working...
                              X