Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why Jeff Bridges will win Best Actor

from SF Chron critic:

<<....In fact, Clooney will never win a best actor Oscar until he puts on an eye patch or a false nose, or plays a vagrant, or someone with leprosy, or someone repellent to women or someone shouting, "Hoo-haa." Or to put it another way, until he's really, really lousy in a movie, he's never going to win best actor....>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z0h9ARlvgX

Re: why Jeff Bridges will win Best Actor

Bridges has the his-time-is-due factor, but Clooney is rapidly approaching his due date soon. Next 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by gh

or someone shouting, "Hoo-haa." Or to put it another way, until he's really, really lousy in a movie, he's never going to win best actor....>>
      That was one of the worst Best Actor wins of all time. Such an obvious example of giving an Oscar becasue the person is due rather than any good. That Al Pacino won for that shit is ridic.

I'm not sure that George Clooney has a BA win coming anytime soon, remember he already has BSA win.

Comment

Clooney did an excellent job in the Coen brothers' "O' Brother, Where Art Thou."

Bridges is a marvelous actor and more than due. One minute he's playing the owner of "Seabiscut" and effectively conveying his fatherly bond to the jockey without a word, and the next he's a insidious shaved-headed corporate super villain in "Iron Man." Both roles totally believeable.

Great range, great talent.

Comment

Bridges topped out as "the dude"

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Bridges topped out as "the dude"
            That should be on his tombstone

JEFF "THE DUDE" BRIDGES

Comment

I've just seen Crazy Heart and Up In The Air and can say for certain that Jeff Bridges is not going to win because he's due.

He's going to win because he's easily the best. Really good performance.

My Best Actor Ranking -

1 - Jeff Bridges
              2 - Morgan Freeman
              3 - George Clooney
              4 - Colin Firth (Didn't get A Single Man at all)
              5 - Jeremy Renner (I hated Hurt Locker)

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy
                I've just seen Crazy Heart and Up In The Air and can say for certain that Jeff Bridges is not going to win because he's due.

Isn't that what I said?

>by Brian » 04 Mar 2010 18:44
                >Bridges is a marvelous actor and more than due.

Comment

I've just seen Crazy Heart and Up In The Air and can say for certain that Jeff Bridges is not going to win because he's due. He's going to win because he's easily the best. Really good performance.
                  My Best Actor Ranking -
                  1 - Jeff Bridges
                  2 - Morgan Freeman
                  3 - George Clooney
                  4 - Colin Firth (Didn't get A Single Man at all)
                  5 - Jeremy Renner (I hated Hurt Locker)
                  It wasn't as 'meaty' a role as Bridges got, but Clooney was PERFECT in his performance in Up in the Air. He deserves the Oscar every bit as much as Bridges, who got to chew every scene in his movie.

Renner in Hurt Locker was a revelation! My wife and I went with very low expectations (very little hype when it came out) and were blown away (pun!) by him, his performance and the whole movie.

Comment

Finally got around to seeing Crazy Heart last night. Loved the music, loved the scenery. Jeff Bridges gets my vote.
                    Clooney was excellent in Up in the Air but was, imo, essentially playing himself.
                    Come to think of it, maybe Bad Balake wasn't that big a stretch for Bridges either.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                      Clooney was excellent in Up in the Air but was, imo, essentially playing himself.
                      Come to think of it, maybe Bad Balake wasn't that big a stretch for Bridges either.
                      I think the really good ones always make it seem that way.

Usually referred to as "the role XX was born to play!"

Comment

Bridges is a fine actor, but not deserving for this role. They should have named the film, "The Wrestler: The Remake"

Comment

Originally posted by Bijan
                          Bridges is a fine actor, but not deserving for this role. They should have named the film, "The Wrestler: The Remake"
                          My point exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian

Isn't that what I said?

>by Brian » 04 Mar 2010 18:44
                            >Bridges is a marvelous actor and more than due.
                            in which case I'm agreeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bijan
                              It was a complete Wrestler/Tender Mercies rip off but WAY better than either.

Comment

Working...
                              X