Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marion Jones joining Tulsa Shock

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=4981213
    The WNBA's Tulsa Shock will hold a news conference at 11 a.m. ET Wednesday to announce the signing of former track star Marion Jones.

Jones, now 34, worked out for Shock coach Nolan Richardson on Saturday.

"We're thrilled to have her," Richardson said, according to the Tulsa World. "In the workouts last week I saw how hard she works. She has things you can't teach, like speed and great hand and eye coordination. She looks chiseled. Her age [34] might be saying one thing but everything about her is saying she's young."

Marion joining the WNBA

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=4981213
    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Re: Marion joining the WNBA

ah, i think she's way in over her head....

wnba is way beyond her talent level...

this is MORE PR than anything..

Comment

Well, the real problem will be the menial salary. She has obviously come from a place where money was plentiful and she made an abundant amount.

Originally posted by az2004
        ah, i think she's way in over her head....

wnba is way beyond her talent level...

this is MORE PR than anything..

Comment

Interesting choice of words from Nolan Richardson: "She looks chiseled."

Moving on ... :shock:

You can't leave basketball 15 years ago and then return with skills intact, no matter what level (NBA, WNBA, YMCA). It just shows the depth of desperation for the two parties involved (Marion, women's league). They both need each other, to some degree, to survive.

I wonder if Marion is still having money problems ... that's the only thing I can think of when I hear of a mother of 3 very young kids, at age 34, chasing the loose change offered by a minor sports league. It can't be that Marion is willingly going back into the public domain because she wants to deal with another round of scrutiny. Regardless, I hope she finds peace.

Comment

The woman needs money to survive or at least pay back the IAAF monies she earned due to her drug conviction(ala Dwayne Chambers)

Comment

i saw on espn, the higehst paid wnba player makes $95,000...

now, that;s probably basketball only salary...

with the ad naseaum hyping of uconn women's bball, youd think there was more to the female game..although espn is the syracuse/uconn sports network!!!

the wusa soccer league died because they blew their budget...

nba supports wnba...

there's a huge gap between what men and women earn...and i suspect it's because men deliver ratings...

women's sports tend to lack depth of performance, which makes things boring, whic refers to my uconn quote...

give the girls a game... not just 25 point blowouts

Comment

Hoops and "hops" have always gone together, the only question is how much hoppity hippity pop is left in Marion's hop?

Sincerely,
                Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by 333
                  Hoops and "hops" have always gone together, the only question is how much hoppity hippity pop is left in Marion's hop?

Sincerely,
                  Dr. Seuss
                  And how hopped up will she have to be to access said hop?

Comment

Whatever she is making is more than zero and more than she would make trying to stick to track. The issue I have is how come we are letting the WNBA use her notoriety for their benefit while we play holier than thou and waste the opportunity. We simply do not use the tools around us to our benefit and it is disappointing time and again.
                    Her story can be flipped. Watch and see how the message of say no to drugs is capitalized on by the wnba. Everywhere she goes she will bring a message to young women about the pitfalls of short cuts and self esteem talks, etc. Yes I am saying track and field should have capitalized on Marion's fame, as part of her penance, she could have been an ambassador for a cleaning up this sport and attracting the youth to us. I am guessing that is very close to what the wnba is looking at in her and probably what she and her people sold them on.

My 3.5 cents

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke
                      Whatever she is making is more than zero and more than she would make trying to stick to track. The issue I have is how come we are letting the WNBA use her notoriety for their benefit while we play holier than thou and waste the opportunity. We simply do not use the tools around us to our benefit and it is disappointing time and again.
                      Her story can be flipped. Watch and see how the message of say no to drugs is capitalized on by the wnba. Everywhere she goes she will bring a message to young women about the pitfalls of short cuts and self esteem talks, etc. Yes I am saying track and field should have capitalized on Marion's fame, as part of her penance, she could have been an ambassador for a cleaning up this sport and attracting the youth to us. I am guessing that is very close to what the wnba is looking at in her and probably what she and her people sold them on.

My 3.5 cents
                      that $.035 may feed a starving child...somewhere, but it falls short of anything resembling a suitable argument.

What tools? You conveniently name none. Did Bobsled use a world champion track athlete "to capitalize" when that athlete was banned from track? How does Jones' case differ to say...Chambers'? Why is Jones a better ambassador than an athlete who has NEVER tested positive? And, Marion Jones' name is the only track athlete that will resonate with youth? You're entire proposal is batshit stupid. Thankfully, you are not at the helm of any of the organizations trying to resurrect the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by 7-sided
                        Originally posted by Smoke

My 3.5 cents
                        that $.035 may feed a starving child...somewhere, but it falls short of anything resembling a suitable argument.

What tools? You conveniently name none. Did Bobsled use a world champion track athlete "to capitalize" when that athlete was banned from track? How does Jones' case differ to say...Chambers'? Why is Jones a better ambassador than an athlete who has NEVER tested positive? And, Marion Jones' name is the only track athlete that will resonate with youth? You're entire proposal is batshit stupid. Thankfully, you are not at the helm of any of the organizations trying to resurrect the sport.
                        My sentiments exactly.
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Re: Marion Jones joining Tulsa Shock

I truly wish her only the best; time for us all to move on. Having said that she is old, and from what I heard on the radio today, fat.

Comment

Having said that she is old, and from what I heard on the radio today, fat.
                            Too funny - of all the things said about MJ over the years around here we are down to old and fat!

Comment

Can't believe everything you hear on the radio.

Coach Nolan Richardson describes her as "chiseled", and here's a pic from the presser -

There are no strings on me

Comment

Working...
                              X