Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Demps and the 40 yard dash

Will he break Chris Johnson's 4.24 next year at the NFL Combine? Funny how it's running backs running faster than wide receivers. I doubt any wide receiver foursome is beating Holliday, Best, Spiller and Demps in a 4x1.

If Demps comes in 100% healthy I see him running in that 4.22ish realm. As we know he'd destroy Johnson in a 60-100. I think he's also the faster 40 man.

Re: Jeff Demps and the 40 yard dash

Originally posted by Avante
    Will he break Chris Johnson's 4.24 next year at the NFL Combine? Funny how it's running backs running faster than wide receivers. I doubt any wide receiver foursome is beating Holliday, Best, Spiller and Demps in a 4x1.
    If Demps comes in 100% healthy I see him running in that 4.22ish realm. As we know he'd destroy Johnson in a 60-100. I think he's also the faster 40 man.
    You DO realize that these times are not the same as track times, right? They start the clock themselves when they go - they are not reacting to a gun, so you can add about .15 to these to get a track equivalent. Bolt went ~ 4.34 at the 40y mark in Berlin, so that would be around a 4.19 in football parlance. He wasn't clear of the field by then, so I could see Demps near him.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      You DO realize that these times are not the same as track times, right? They start the clock themselves when they go - they are not reacting to a gun, so you can add about .15 to these to get a track equivalent. Bolt went ~ 4.34 at the 40y mark in Berlin, so that would be around a 4.19 in football parlance. He wasn't clear of the field by then, so I could see Demps near him.
      I know how it's done, I also know Demps will be in the same boat that Johnson was in. If Chris Johnson can run a 4.24 in that situation then Jeff Demps can run faster.

Comment

If there is no consistency in how they measure these 40 times, how are they even comparable? I see it only as a "rough idea (tool)" of the football coaches/scouts.

Comment

Originally posted by ranunculus
          If there is no consistency in how they measure these 40 times, how are they even comparable? I see it only as a "rough idea (tool)" of the football coaches/scouts.
          When the Niners signed Renaldo Nehemiah they had him run a 40 (I read a 4.1 handed timed but..?).....why? Why are "known sprinters" even bothering with it? Jacoby Ford, Trindon Holliday both NCAA sprint champs need to prove they are fast....ha~ Sure run the big guys, see what they got but guys with "known speed"...it's a waste of time.

But since they do have to run it, we do see the fast guys running the fastest When we start talking sub4.30, it's getting serious regardless of how it's done or the circumstances involved.

Comment

They HAVE standardized the timing now. It's all done with electronic timing that begins when they start (as opposed to when a gun goes off - eliminating 'reaction time'), and ends when they break a beam at the finish line.

Comment

When the Niners signed Renaldo Nehemiah they had him run a 40 (I read a 4.1 handed timed but..?).....why? Why are "known sprinters" even bothering with it? Jacoby Ford, Trindon Holliday both NCAA sprint champs need to prove they are fast....ha~ Sure run the big guys, see what they got but guys with "known speed"...it's a waste of time.

But since they do have to run it, we do see the fast guys running the fastest When we start talking sub4.30, it's getting serious regardless of how it's done or the circumstances involved.
              I also remember the Sports Illustrated article about Skeets and the 49ers when they asked him to do some flexibility tests, and he asked, "You want to see if a world-class hurdler is flexible?"

Comment

Originally posted by bambam

I also remember the Sports Illustrated article about Skeets and the 49ers when they asked him to do some flexibility tests, and he asked, "You want to see if a world-class hurdler is flexible?"
                It is silly..huh? I'm not sure Nehemiah couldn't have made it if given more time. I saw him play a few times, he could blow by anyone. Catching the ball can be learned. No not saying he'd ever be a Largent/Chris Carter.

Comment

They HAVE standardized the timing now.
                  What else is standardised? Shoes and surface too? This might seem like I naive question but I have literally never seen these 40 tests, so don't really have a good feel for them.

Comment

Couple of things here.

Demps will be a Junior next season and, at this point, isn't an NFL player nor will he likely be after next season. So we're probably talking two combines from now.

Holliday ran 4.28. That might be the better mark to work with since it's current.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                      What else is standardised? Shoes and surface too? This might seem like I naive question but I have literally never seen these 40 tests, so don't really have a good feel for them.
                      They generally (the NFL Combine did) run on an artificial football surface in football turf 'cleats' (nubby-bottomed). It's not Mondo with track spikes, but it is a fast surface to run on. The don't use blocks, but do get in a very low (and efficient) three-point stance. My guess is that in 40 yards only a super-starter like Asafa would garner much of a lead on the fastest pro footballer, because they excel in explosiveness and quickness, which pay off well in a 40. Someone like Herb Washington or Houston McTear might even run a 40 faster than Asafa.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutra

Couple of things here.

Demps will be a Junior next season and, at this point, isn't an NFL player nor will he likely be after next season. So we're probably talking two combines from now.

Holliday ran 4.28. That might be the better mark to work with since it's current.
                        I look for him to come out as a junior.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                          They generally (the NFL Combine did) run on an artificial football surface in football turf 'cleats' (nubby-bottomed). It's not Mondo with track spikes, but it is a fast surface to run on. The don't use blocks, but do get in a very low (and efficient) three-point stance. My guess is that in 40 yards only a super-starter like Asafa would garner much of a lead on the fastest pro footballer, because they excel in explosiveness and quickness, which pay off well in a 40. Someone like Herb Washington or Houston McTear might even run a 40 faster than Asafa.
                          McTear was a footballer while at Baker High. Avg over 13 yards a carry. Washington might have been the greatest 20 meter sprinter ever, his quickness out of the blocks..amazing.

Comment

Working...
                          X