Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No 'Lost' Commentary?

After the big hoopla last night.

My take: there are infinite realities and they all impinge on each other - we just rarely glimpse them. Déjà vu is a bleed-over from one to the other. 'And death shall have no dominion." :wink:

Re: No 'Lost' Commentary?

I watched the entire first season, but began to lose interest about half-way through the next one. I've missed every season since then (4?). Watched the last 45 minutes of the show last night and--what a shock!--it made no sense to me at all.

Comment

I never got into it. Is it worth it?

I had never seen 24 until this year and watched some on netflix. I thought I'd hate it from what I'd read but found that not to be the case. I've watch about four season now. Best thing is you can watch about three in a row, none of this waiting for next week.

Comment

There was only one reality. As stated many times, "what happened, happened."

The island, as defined by Jacob, was the origin of life, death, and rebirth. Since they went all spiritual in the finale, you could assume this the place where God touched the earth and gave it life. Keeping the light burning keeps all life going. if it goes out, then all life goes out. Thus, a guardian is needed to protect it. The writers did paint themselves into a corner with the Dharma Initiative but I think it can be explained that there were people that were on the hunt for the light source even if they didn't understand what it was (which they didn't since their approach was solely scientific) and Jacob used his powers to keep people away from it.

The flash sideways really isn't that, it's afterlife events that were just shown out of order. It was purgatory for lack of a better term. Jack's dad stated that time doesn't exist after your dead thus everyone was there regardless of when they died in the real world. He says that those waiting for him died before him and long after him. He also verifies that everything really happened. The flash sideways world according to the dad is the heaven they all created together. They are all together after death because it was with each other they found themselves. "Lost" refers more to the fact every character was a lost soul not that they were geographically lost. Once they all became aware of all this they could then move forward together to the light for a third time (rebirth).

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
          There was only one reality. As stated many times, "what happened, happened." . . . The flash sideways really isn't that, it's afterlife events that were just shown out of order.
          If that's true (and WhotheFknows), then the series really makes NO sense whatsoever. How can what happened, happen, if it didn't really happen, i.e., happened in the afterlife?

I only watched the pilot 6 years ago (and again 2 nights ago with the 'subtitles' that explained what was going on), the 'myth show' 3 weeks ago, and then the 2-hour 'producers and cast explanation' before the finale. That got me up to speed for the finale, which only makes sense if you take the flash-sideways as alternate reality (what happened in an existence where they didn't crash). I think it was Einstein (or perhaps Monty Python) that proposed that infinite realities co-exist. Anyway, it was trippy, all right.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
            I watched the entire first season, but began to lose interest about half-way through the next one. I've missed every season since then (4?). Watched the last 45 minutes of the show last night and--what a shock!--it made no sense to me at all.
            My experience exactly. Gave up on the second season after a few episodes. Not only did it make no sense, it was boring and I could see weeks/months/years of pretentious and self-indulgent story lines a mile off.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
              I could see weeks/months/years of pretentious and self-indulgent story lines a mile off.
              My thoughts too. I can't believe how the media has made up all this hype about how 'deep' the series was! Give me Twin Peaks any time!

Comment

It's been consistently great since mid season three.

Comment

I think the original idea of the story was in line with how it was resolved: everyone died in the crash, and the Island was a purgatory where their souls were judged to pass either to Heaven or Hell. When you have a character called "Christian Shephard" who was guiding and "releasing" people from their penance throughout the series, it makes the religious overtones pretty obvious (even the writers spelled this out in last night's dialogue).

Several years ago, the writers apparently were miffed that that fans caught on to the above "mystery" of the Island quite early, so allegedly the story was shifted to the "scientific mystery" of the Island. The writers swore that, when revealed, everything would make sense with currently-understood science. That's why the 4th season relied so heavily on relativity, wormholes, and exotic matter (ways to justify time travel). Even the Smoke Monster was supposed to be some kind of scientific manifestation. From what I saw last night, that got tossed out the window in lieu of the original plot. It was rather disappointing, because it effectively negated the entire 3rd and 4th seasons.

One could always try to retroactively justify it via the multiverse argument, and how what we were seeing in the flashbacks/forwards/sideways was each Lostie's life (and alternate lives) flashing before their eyes. I suppose I'd be happy with that explanation. But it still leaves too much dangling.

Comment

Originally posted by JRM
                    It was rather disappointing, because it effectively negated the entire 3rd and 4th seasons.
                    Aha! The old Dallas 'it was all a dream' ploy!

Comment

I work pretty hard to stay with the plot lines of CSI. In the old days, Rawhide, Gilligan's Island, and Hogan's Heroes were no problem. I liked Twin Peaks, but gave up pretending it meant much of anything; Lost lost me.

Comment

Lost lost me

you weren't/aren't lost - you are only mostly lost.

Comment

Well, one box of Kleenex later! What a masterpiece.

(sure glad I DVRed it and waited a night; the commercial load was stunningly heavy)

Comment

I wanta know about those polar bears...

Comment

and I wanna know about the protective ring of ashes!

Comment

Working...
                              X