Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin Gardner, 95

I read his column, Mathematical Games, for years until he retired in 1981. Also most of his books, including The Incredible Dr. Matrix, which had the puzzle, what is special about 8,549,176,320?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/24/us/24 ... obituaries

Re: Martin Gardner, 95

I hadn't seen this news till now--he was a truly fascinating guy, with an extraordinary curiosity about nearly everything...

Comment

I didn't read Scientific American, but his name is very familiar; thinking he may have contributed to Analog (sci-fi monthly) at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        I didn't read Scientific American, but his name is very familiar; thinking he may have contributed to Analog (sci-fi monthly) at one point.
        He wrote science fiction, and a children's magazine, among other interests, including magic. His Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science is a great read.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
          Originally posted by gh
          He wrote science fiction, and a children's magazine, among other interests, including magic. His Fads and Fallacies in the Name of Science is a great read.
          After SA, he has contributed to the Skeptical Inquirer all those years. The last contribution I read was just a few months ago. It dealt with some paranormal nonsense, IIRC.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
            After SA, he has contributed to the Skeptical Inquirer all those years. The last contribution I read was just a few months ago. It dealt with some paranormal nonsense, IIRC.
            A good magazine, SI is. I was a subscriber for years, though I haven't read it for a couple of years now. A good friend of mine from Oregon, Ray Hyman, was on the editorial for a long time.

Comment

Working...
            X