Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 World Basketball Championships

With the world basketball championships (men) going on right now in Turkey, I was wondering how the U.S. team would do without all their NBA super stars. I think the U.S. team is undefeated right now (after beating Iran), but I realize there are some very tough teams, like Argentina and Lithuania.
    I don't know a lot about basketball, although I enjoy the game. What do you think? Can the U.S. win this championship? I know they can, but do you think they will? If not, which team do you think has the best chance to win the world championships?
    I believe the team that does win the championship will automatically qualify to play in the 2012 London Olympic Games.

Re: 2010 World Basketball Championships

I don't know a lot about basketball
    I know too much, which is why I don't watch it.

US should win without their best. If they use younger guys who never play together it becomes more problematic. US teams may not play their best because NBA players really don't care about much of anything other than their own games.

Key to beating a US all-star team is using a combo zone and hoping they take a lot of 3-pt shots and are cool. And that they shoot a lousy ft percentage. If those things happen some countries can stay in the game particularly if they are getting good 3-pt looks.

Comment

Originally posted by Friar
      [US teams may not play their best because NBA players really don't care about much of anything other than their own games.
      Amen!!! I don't remember the details/years but the occasional US losses in international play have been with a collection of NBA prima donnas.
      Maybe times have changed but when we put a practiced team of the best college players on the court, the US was invincible. (Forget Munich/Russian 1972)

Comment

The current team has an average salary that is only moderately (very modestly) above the league average, not the 'several times league average' of some prior teams.

Comment

I watched all prelim US games. While they have no LeBrons and Kobes and Dwight Howards there, this is by no means an inferior product. Billups, Durant, Rose et al. When they played almost like they are capable of, they blew out Slovenia and Croatia. Even with a subpar performance, they beat a very good Brazil. It was hard to be on their best game against Iran and Tunisia, both athletically far below the US guys.

I expect them to win it all, the first time since 1994. The next match is against Angola on Monday, 11AM ET on ESPN and ESPN3.
          Watch out for the Turks. They are at home and loaded with quality NBA players such as Onan, Turkoglu and Ilyasova.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
            Amen!!! I don't remember the details/years but the occasional US losses in international play have been with a collection of NBA prima donnas.
            Maybe times have changed but when we put a practiced team of the best college players on the court, the US was invincible. (Forget Munich/Russian 1972)
            1988 was an all collegiate team, and they certainly weren't invincible.

In fact, the US has only won the World Championship thrice - 1954, 1986, and 1994.

Comment

like Canada in world hockey

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                like Canada in world hockey
                The parallel so close, it is almost identical.
                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I think they're almost down to the final four teams and it looks as if the U.S. might have to play Lithuania Saturday. That could be a tough game for the U.S. The other side is Serbia against Turkey. Turkey is in the tournament because they are the host nation. I'm not sure how good they are. I think the U.S. or Lithuania will win the championship. What do you think?

Comment

I am willing to bet it will come down between US and Turkey. The Turks are very good and they are home.
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Pego, I'm glad I didn't take your bet. You predicted the U.S. and Turkey in the final and that's what it is.

I know very little about basketball in Turkey. Do you see this final as a close game, especially being played in Turkey?

Comment

If US defends and rebounds like they did today against Lithuania, they should be OK.
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

One more prediction. Kevin Durant should be the tournament's MVP.
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Pego, you know a lot more about basketball than I do. Nice job. I would say Kevin Durant is the tournament MVP. I thought the U.S.-Turkey final would be a much closer game. Congratulations to the U.S. on winning the world championships. I believe that qualifies the U.S. as an automatic entry into the 2012 London Olympics.

Comment

Yes, it does. Everybody else goes into qualification.
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X