Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedroom potted plants - any advice?

I don't know if any botanists read this board but certainly there're people much more experienced in horticulture than me... So now I want to keep a potted plant in my weeny bedroom but still no idea which to choose. I'm told that the most suitable should be those possessing Crassulacean acid metabolism, like cacti and sansevierias, since they still absorb carbon dioxide at night hence enhance air quality - well I have no doubt about the absorption part but the latter part seems a bit anecdotal to me: how much benefit would it bring to the air quality to human if it merely suck the carbon dioxide away? So if you have some experience or knowledge over this household problem, I'd be ready and very grateful to listen. Thanks in advance!

Re: Bedroom potted plants - any advice?

Originally posted by Vielleicht
    I don't know if any botanists read this board
    That would be Daisy - f'real!

My best advice is to put it on the floor of the bathroom, sprinkle some kitty litter and catnip on it and let the cat have its way. It accelerates the inevitable demise of said plant.

Comment

Rule number 1: If ya can't smoke it, don't grow it.
      Rule number 2: Don't grow too many, they attract Narcs.

Comment

vielleicht, i don't know if you need to worry too much about the carbon dioxide absorption issue. i mean, if you are using a tiny plant, i doubt it'd make much of a difference. you don't tell us what the conditions are in your bedroom, what kind of light it gets, temps, etc. i'm always amazed at how people shove a cactus in a windowless dark bathroom and are surprised to see it expire a few months later.

Comment

I'm told that the most suitable should be those possessing Crassulacean acid metabolism, like cacti and sansevierias, since they still absorb carbon dioxide at night hence enhance air quality
          I have never heard of the air quality argument. Usually such plants are desirable as they tolerate being neglected from a watering perspective. They will still need light.

If lack of light is an issue you need plants that can tolerate low light. The best known are epipremnum and sansevierias but you might want to try a bromeliad. Anything that is common in the understory of rainforests should be good.

well I have no doubt about the absorption part
          Yes, that bit is true. It's part of the reason they can tolerate dry conditions so well. Usually plants take in carbon dioxide during the day for photosynthesis. The problem is they have to open up holes in their leaves (stomata) to let carbon dioxide into the plant, but that also allows moisture to escape.

CAM plants open their stomata at night to capture the carbon dioxide. Then, during the sunlight hours, they can photosynthesise that carbon dioxide into sugar without opening their stomata. Consequently they do not lose as much water since there is less evaporation from the open stomata at night compared to during the day.

but the latter part seems a bit anecdotal to me. How much benefit would it bring to the air quality to human if it merely suck the carbon dioxide away?
          I would say none.

Comment

Plastic.

Comment

Working...
            X