Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not For The Acrophobic

I'm amazed OSHA doesn't require them to be clipped in at all times. I mean, they make us keep [email protected]#damned Material Safety Data Sheets on Sharpies.

I wonder how much the top of the tower moves in a mild wind, say 15 mph?

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
      Besides there are a few free soloists out there and have been for a while.
      http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 824977185#
      Some well-known ones are six feet under...John Bachar, Derek Hersey (a fixture around Boulder in the mid-80s thru his death soloing in 1993), Jimmy Jewel. It wouldn't be at all surprising if Dean Potter, featured in the video, ended up buying it soloing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
        I wonder how much the top of the tower moves in a mild wind, say 15 mph?
        That thing looked pretty wobbly when they stepped up on the last "platform" I was concerned that if might snap off if their weight was flung around by the wind.

Comment

I thought the same. Beefier rungs/attachments would make me feel better if I were up there.

Comment

Fifth pitch of a climb called "The Naked Edge", one I did a couple times in the '80s/'90s. Really exciting exposure, meaning way up there, steep, with a lot of air below your feet.
            Yes it is the Naked Edge. It got its name, from a pulp novel someone had just read, primarily because it is so exposed. Wow, so you climbed it. I am impressed! That was definitely above my abilities. I knew Jim Erickson, the first to free climb it, pretty well in Boulder. He used to show up to our all-comer meets at Potts.

Once, years ago, in Eldorado I was climbing with someone quite a bit younger, and Erickson was just starting the Bastille Crack. I went over and said hello and my partner was so excited I knew a Boulder legend.

Comment

I thought the same. Beefier rungs/attachments would make me feel better if I were up there.
              Remember these guys were making a movie for youtube. Who knows what they left out.

Comment

Some well-known ones are six feet under...John Bachar, Derek Hersey (a fixture around Boulder in the mid-80s thru his death soloing in 1993), Jimmy Jewel. It wouldn't be at all surprising if Dean Potter, featured in the video, ended up buying it soloing as well.
                I knew about Hersey dying in Yosemite doing a solo climb, but wasn't aware of Bachar. I knew he had a serious accident soloing a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                  I knew about Hersey dying in Yosemite doing a solo climb, but wasn't aware of Bachar. I knew he had a serious accident soloing a few years ago.
                  From wiki:

"On July 5, 2009, John Bachar died in a free solo accident at Dike Wall near Mammoth Lakes, California. While the exact reasons for his fall may never be known, some have speculated he may possibly have been hit by a loose rock that fell from above. Others believe he may simply have fell due to a lack of feeling and strength in his right arm and hand; a residual injury left over from his car accident"

So I wonder if any of these radio tower guys have died on the job?

Comment

if they had, wouldn't we have heard it on the radio? :-)

Hey... I still wanna know about the pixellated face!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      I still wanna know about the pixellated face!
                      Short answer : didn't sign the video release.
                      Longer answer : didn't want anyone to know he was that crazy.

Comment

From wiki:

"On July 5, 2009, John Bachar died in a free solo accident at Dike Wall near Mammoth Lakes, California. While the exact reasons for his fall may never be known, some have speculated he may possibly have been hit by a loose rock that fell from above. Others believe he may simply have fell due to a lack of feeling and strength in his right arm and hand; a residual injury left over from his car accident"

So I wonder if any of these radio tower guys have died on the job?
                        Thanks for the info. I remember now that he had an obit in the NYTimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/09/sports/09bachar.html

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                          Originally posted by gh
                          I still wanna know about the pixellated face!
                          Short answer : didn't sign the video release.
                          Longer answer : didn't want anyone to know he was that crazy.
                          It could also be that they weren't following all of the safety rules on their Youtube adventure, and wanted to stay employed.

Comment

I thought about the get-fired aspect, but I'm guessing the number of people who this could be can be counted on very few fingers worldwide, and that the owners of this tower would not only recognize their structure instantly, but also be able to figure out who it was in an instant.

Comment

So, how do they erect these towers? I'd like to see the guy that has to put that 30 foot antenna on top of that last platform you can climb to.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
                                So, how do they erect these towers? I'd like to see the guy that has to put that 30 foot antenna on top of that last platform you can climb to.
                                I assume they use helicopters but yeah... :?
                                I have heard the axiom that with a long enough lever and a place to stand, one man could move the world. Therein lies the problem. Where to stand?

Comment

Working...
                                X