Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not For The Acrophobic

They recently finished the 1300 ft. Trump Tower here in Chicago.

"It's been nearly four weeks since January 3 when a helicopter lowered the structural undergirding for Trump Tower's spire into place. As you may recall, the gray fiberglass shell of the spire was supposed to be installed by now. And that meant--tah dah!--that we were finally going to see how this skyscraper really meets the sky."

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com ... _chicago_/

Comment

Following that link I notice that the Shanghai World Financial Centre dwarfs the others. I was in Shanghai recently and I would never have guessed it was that massive, probably because there are a number of tall building close to it. On the other hand the Sears tower used to look massive. May be that is less the case with this new addition to the chicago skyline.

As an aside, why do the radio antenna count towards the height of the buildings? It seems like cheating with respect to the record books.

One more thing, when did the Sears tower change it's name to the WIllis tower?

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
        A couple of years ago. I don't know anyone who calls it anything other than the Sears Tower.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
          Originally posted by Daisy
          A couple of years ago. I don't know anyone who calls it anything other than the Sears Tower.
          Another thing I learned on this message board . Never heard it before.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

that is one of the most horrendous things i have ever seen :shock:

i'm going to have nightmares
            i deserve extra credit

Comment

How about spending the night on the sheer face of El Capitan dangling on a port a ledge. With a partner.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/extreme ... n-14220329
              There are no strings on me

Comment

One of my climbing buds here in the Springs did El Cap a couple of dozen times in the 1980s. One of his partners insisted on separate porta-ledges....he needed some privacy because the only way he could cope with the stress of doing a big wall and sleep up there at night was to take care of a certain sort of private business before calling it a night. My friend and a different partner were up there, on a porta-ledge, when the October 1989 earthquake hit the Bay Area. They most definitely felt it. Stuff was moving around, there was no small amount of rockfall in the Valley. They were scared sh#[email protected]

Comment

Has anyone tried this yet? Saw a feature on the EdgeWalk on top of the CN Tower in Toronto on the Today Show earlier in the week. Now this looks like (scary) fun! It's not cheap--$175.00US, but you get pictures and a video. I've added it to my bucket list!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41521818/
                  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...edge-walk.html
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECtwVf1AreY

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                    that is one of the most horrendous things i have ever seen :shock:

i'm going to have nightmares
                    I could only watch for 30 seconds. Stopped, watched 10 more then had to turn it off.

I feel a bit sick.

Comment

oh boy...

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... n-monument
                      There are no strings on me

Comment

Trivia question: What is the tip of the capstone of the Washington Monument made of?

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                          Trivia question: What is the tip of the capstone of the Washington Monument made of?
                          Dollar bills?

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                            I thought it was all marble.

Comment

I believe it is aluminum.

Comment

The holds on that tower are vastly better then an most of the places available on major climbs like El Cap. A friend of mine (worked with him three years, he stays with us occasionally for several months) is from Moscow and he was a competitive mountain climber in the USSR. He said that he did climbs with similar exposure/length as El Cap etc. I do not think he would be awed by that video, which was very 'shaky', which exaggerated the difficulty, I think. Of course, I do not have the background in climbing of Dr.Jay and Conar, so I do pay attention to them.

Comment

Working...
                                X