Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Town

I recommend Ben Affleck's latest Boston Heist flick. Three, count em, three heists, including one at Fenway Park. Aflleck directs and acts and does both superbly. Jeremy Renner ("Hurt Locker") continues his spell binding gig as "loose cannon" and add in John Hamm from "Mad Man" as the FBI guy you love to hate. Nice little bits from Pete Postlethwaite, as the most villainous and ugliest of them all, and Chris Cooper who is underused in one short but taut scene. It has just a few "are you *&^%ing kidding me?," and "yeah right!" moments, but the action moves at such a pace who cares.

Affleck is adding nicely to his body of work as a Director. First "Gone Baby Gone", and now this one. He's come along way from: "I Killed My Lesbian Wife, Hung Her on a Meat Hook, and Now I Have a Three-Picture Deal at Disney (1993) "

Is a move out of Bostoon in the works? Why bother it seems like such a nice place for criminal family values.

Re: The Town

Sorry, but Ben Affleck? Act?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
      Is a move out of Boston in the works? Why bother it seems like such a nice place for criminal family values.
      The real place for criminal family values is South Boston where I taught high school for a couple of years back in the 80's. Whitey Bulger was great role model.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS_Liv
        See the movie, then decide.

Comment

Indeed he does. This is Part 3 of his career and puts all three elements into play.
          1. Good Will Hunting (wrote/starred)
          2. Gone Baby Gone (wrote/directed)
          3. The Town (wrote/directed/starred)

He's had more than his share of bombs (Gigli, much?), but this one is VERY good.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
            Indeed he does. This is Part 3 of his career and puts all three elements into play.
            1. Good Will Hunting (wrote/starred)
            2. Gone Baby Gone (wrote/directed)
            3. The Town (wrote/directed/starred)

He's had more than his share of bombs (Gigli, much?), but this one is VERY good.
            He creates great ensembles, gets great work out of them by giving them room to breathe, and has great writing to boot. The next test is to see him do something outside the Boston milieu.

Comment

Working...
            X