X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mike renfro
    replied
    Re: any Ring fans around?

On the way from SF to Eugene, I spent 1.5 days with neice, nephew-in-law and whatever you call their boys (great nephews?) At any rate, the kids were doing some video games and the ride of the Walkuren was background. Another Wagner bit, can't remember what. I explained to the kids, aged 5 & 3 whence the music. I think they kinda expected such stuff from weird onkle Mike.

Oh, both Garry and I missed the 1st day of the nationals one year as the only cycle we could get conflicted. I assume Garry flew, Mary & I drove all night. Bright eyed and busy tailed, not so much.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

What's better, track or the Ring? Hey, why choose? I'm watching the men's 5000 at the Birmingham Diamond League meet, and the stadium sound track has been playing the Ride of the Valkyries for the entire race!

Life is good, eh?

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied

Thanks for the link. I agree with most of the reviewers thoughts. I still haven't come to grips with the staging. Josh Kosmann's review in the SF Chron, which Garry cited has some similar points.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by mike renfro
    The music was wonderful, as noted, Runnicles is really good with Wagner, and I was very happy with Nina Stemme as Brunhilde. She is a good actor (the un Jane Eaglen) and has a great voice. She may be the long awaited Brigit Nielsen replacement.....
    She's utterly stunning.
    Wall Street Journal published its review today. Their critic loved her, but was had mixed comments about the production and the other singers.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 18028.html

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

The music was wonderful, as noted, Runnicles is really good with Wagner, and I was very happy with Nina Stemme as Brunhilde. She is a good actor (the un Jane Eaglen) and has a great voice. She may be the long awaited Brigit Nielsen replacement.....
    She's utterly stunning.

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied

Try the dragon as a transformers style tank. The staging was outre, to say the least. I don't suppose I will ever see a version with breastplates and winged helmets, let alone real horses. Actually, I have never seen a production with real horses.

The music was wonderful, as noted, Runnicles is really good with Wagner, and I was very happy with Nina Stemme as Brunhilde. She is a good actor (the un Jane Eaglen) and has a great voice. She may be the long awaited Brigit Nielsen replacement.

I don't know if I will ever see another ring (this was my 8th) as the wise woman says "only Bayreuth or Covent Garden", which will present logistics problems. Bayreuth just to get the tickets, the royal maybe as well and for both, a plane trip (oh the joy, the joy). The woman who sat next to me for the cycle is from Sydney, and she had done her first ring last year at Bayreuth (good place to start, I also). She said that Melbourne is doing one next year. Kinda of a busy year, but if koala hugging was involved, maybe Mary would go. Nah. Next year is OT and a train trip to Chicago.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

Originally posted by gh
    the Valkyrie as paratroopers, now there's a new wrinkle!
    Sounds more like characters from "24-The Musical."

I can see the promos: "David Cangelosi IS Jack Bauer...!"

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

the Valkyrie as paratroopers, now there's a new wrinkle!

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

Originally posted by gh
    ahh, the pity of having to wait 10 years between cycles..... cranked up with Das Rheingold last night. Spectacular singing (other than Fricka), and while the quasi-modern setting was "innovative," give me back my old mediaeval bit please.
    Please tell me things aren't drifting into "Wagner in the Park"...

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

ahh, the pity of having to wait 10 years between cycles..... cranked up with Das Rheingold last night. Spectacular singing (other than Fricka), and while the quasi-modern setting was "innovative," give me back my old mediaeval bit please.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Götterdämmerung comes in with high marks.

<<...In the pit, former Music Director Donald Runnicles led a performance of majestic power and sweep, eliciting thrillingly great playing from the tireless Opera Orchestra. And in soprano Nina Stemme, the company can lay claim to a Brünnhilde of astonishing vocal clarity and dramatic pathos....>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z1PJbt6IYp

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

I'll go back to the Solti in the future.
    You can't go wrong with that.

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied

I thought this was going to be about boxing. ops:

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

16 days until Rheingold 3 for me!

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied

I head north tomorrow. Staying with the sometime TFN statistician, Jim Rorick & wife. After I get my dragon fix, and we eat and drink well, on to Eugene. I listened to a recording a got awhile ago, but had not heard, the Furtwangler at La Scala, 1950. Crappy recording quality (the audience wasn't horribly well behaved, and not edited out) but.... Flagstad was wonderful. I'll go back to the Solti in the future.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X