Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that complicated Bowl picture....

local paper discussing what might happen to Stanford, with an eye (as West Coasters do) towards Rose Bowl. It ain't simple! At some point the Pasadena folk have to choose a non-AQ team.

<<....But what if Stanford finishes 11-1 but not in the top four in the BCS standings, while Oregon and either TCU or Boise State play for the national championship? The Rose Bowl might have to choose between Stanford and the second school from a non-BCS conference - that is, whichever one of TCU and Boise State isn't in the title game.

Although the Rose Bowl wouldn't be obligated to take the non-BCS team this year, its obligation would just be deferred. At some point in the next four years, if a Pac-10 or Big Ten team is in the national title game, the Rose Bowl would have to take a non-automatic-qualifier school. It might decide that this year's TCU or Boise State is as good as it's going to get....>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z15qNs9eiw

Re: that complicated Bowl picture....

Originally posted by gh
    It might decide that this year's TCU or Boise State is as good as it's going to get....>>
    In which case I will personally fire-bomb BCS Headquarters!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Comment

Please dont give us Boise State in the Rose Bowl. Please please please.

Comment

If I were a Stanford fan, I would pray that either Boise State or TCU gets into the national championship game.

Comment

Originally posted by Rye Catcher
          Please dont give us Boise State in the Rose Bowl. Please please please.
          Why? [since I favor Wisconsin and they currently have the cleanest shot if they win next week against Northwestern, that requires either that Michigan State loses or Boise State loses - if they all lose, Wisconsin also gets it probably. This situation gets decided by the BCS ranking if there is not a definitive ordering of the schools that are tied (which is the case here because MSU did not play OSU and MSU beat UW beat OSU).

Comment

Lunacy! If a Pac/Big-10 team makes the BCS Bowl, it should be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that the next best team in the conference goes to the Rose Bowl!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              Lunacy! If a Pac/Big-10 team makes the BCS Bowl, it should be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that the next best team in the conference goes to the Rose Bowl!!!!!
              Make this man a saint.

Comment

Obvious? What if the next best team is 6-6? Those kind of blanket statements make no sense to me. Each of the AQ conferences are only guaranteed one BCS bid regardless if that bowl is the championship game or the traditional tie-in bowl. If Oregon gets into the championship game, the BCS will have met its obligation to the PAC-10, regardless of how good the next best team is, unless of course that next best team is ranked #3 or #4 in the BCS rankings, in which case it would be guaranteed a spot in the BCS.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                  Obvious? What if the next best team is 6-6?
                  Please explain to me how a 6-6 team finishes 2nd in a 10-team conference? Please provide color 8x10 photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one*, explaining the reality of this situation and how many times it's happened in the past. :roll:

(* apologies to Arlo Guthrie)

Comment

Please explain to me how a 6-6 team finishes 2nd in a 10-team conference? Please provide color 8x10 photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one*, explaining the reality of this situation and how many times it's happened in the past.
                    1) I never said that it had happened in the past and I'm not about to waste time researching this for you. However, even if there haven't been any 6-6 conference runner-ups in the BCS era, I'm quite sure there have been some 7-5 or 6-5 runner-ups in the past. Just look at the Big East this year, the runner-up in that conference will likely have five losses.

2) Mathematically speaking, there are many scenarios in which you can have a 6-6 conference runner-up since each team in the conference has at least three, and as many as five, non-conference games in today's 1-A college football.

Comment

there are many scenarios in which you can have a 6-6 conference runner-up since each team in the conference has at least three, and as many as five, non-conference games in today's 1-A college football.
                      none of which HAVE happened or WILL happen . . . in the Pac or Big-10!

Comment

none of which HAVE happened or WILL happen . . . in the Pac or Big-10!
                        I've already told you that I'm not your college football research guru. My beef is with your blanket statement: If a Pac/Big-10 team makes the BCS Bowl, it should be intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that the next best team in the conference goes to the Rose Bowl! You have a penchant for these types of blanket statements. What's wrong with seeing if the runner-ups in the Big-10 or PAC-10 have a resume deserving of a Rose Bowl bid? Why are you not even open to the idea that there may another team that is more deserving?

Comment

What's wrong with seeing if the runner-ups in the Big-10 or PAC-10 have a resume deserving of a Rose Bowl bid?
                          It's the Rose (Pac-10/Big-10) Bowl. They are two of the most significant conferences in the nation. Yes, the runner-up of either is worthy of it, by definition, esp. if the champion is one of the top 2 teams in the country. This is so blatantly self-evident as to be BEYOND discussion!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Comment

Pac-10 and Big Ten....hmmm...aren't they those two leagues that play each other every year while the SEC and Big 12 decide the national championship? :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                              Pac-10 and Big Ten....hmmm...aren't they those two leagues that play each other every year while the SEC and Big 12 decide the national championship? :lol:
                              Usually, but that is because they do not actually have much in the way of academic of ethical standards at some of those schools, apparently. This Auburn thing has really started to turn up a bunch of potentially really dirty stuff -- I have seen people say that it might be the end of the SEC for Auburn. If the allegations that I have heard are correct, that wouldn't be the most severe thing that I can think of. Not sure SMU's trials could match it, but of course, that is the level of the allegations, not the skeletons that will actually fall out of the closet.

Comment

Working...
                              X