Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: that complicated Bowl picture....

IMHO: Every major D-1 program is dirty.
    Some dirtier than others, but the whole system stinks.

The colleges and TV networks are only in it for the $$$, the best players for the NFL $$$ and the marginal players for the scholarship $$$.

A Stanford or USC player gets offered $200,000 in value for four years of service (or more likely, $250,000 including a red-shirt year) and is admitted with special admissions standards as well as extraordinary social and academic support.

But if the kid takes even a penny for his family or accepts a ride across campus in a golf cart with a student agent then he is villainized and the full weight of NCAA comes down on him.

These kids and their parents need to form a players' union and work hand in hand with the NFL union since the college programs are apprenticeships for the Sunday league.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
      IMHO: the college programs are apprenticeships for the Sunday league.
      Not for 99% of the kids.

Comment

No, it's just that 99% of them don't pass the apprenticeship standards.
        On the other hand, 99% of D1 players would sign and play in the NFL if they were offered a contract.
        The NCAA is the incubator for pro-football and if it didn't exist the NFL would have to invent it.

Comment

My guess is that the majority of I-A football players have some NFL aspirations, but the majority of college football players (I-A, I-AA, II, III, JUCO, etc.) don't view the NFL as a realistic career path.

Comment

meanwhile, back on the original subject of this thread, this will certainly look pretty ugly if it plays out. Love the BCS structure!

<<...Bowl picture: The postseason hopes of Luck and Stanford probably rest with Auburn's game at Alabama on Friday. If Alabama wins, an 11-1 Stanford probably goes to the Rose Bowl, and Luck's Heisman chances rise. If Auburn wins, Stanford might be headed to the Alamo Bowl, and Luck's Heisman chances fade.

Stanford will be disappointed if it finishes 11-1 and doesn't get into a BCS game. That might turn to rage if Connecticut (6-4) wins the Big East and gets into a BCS game and the Cardinal are stuck in the Alamo Bowl. It could happen. If UConn wins its last two games, against Cincinnati and South Florida, and West Virginia beats Pittsburgh on Friday, UConn is in a BCS game (probably the Fiesta Bowl) despite a loss to Temple, losses to the two teams at the bottom of the Big East standings (Louisville and Rutgers) and a 1-4 road record...>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z162p6EOCH

Comment

Where have I heard this before?

As I was saying:

viewtopic.php?p=675994#p675994

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                Luck's Heisman chances fade
                No one at Stanford, even his own coach, is pushing his 'candidacy'. He's a red-shirt soph (who, unfortunately, can declare for the draft this spring!) and if (when!) he returns next year, and if (when!) Harbaugh is not seduced into the NFL, his H-rating will skyrocket!

Comment

Chances of his coming out probably went up yesterday with Buffalo's shock win over Carolina. Because of major animus between Harbaugh and Buffalo, buzz here is that Luck will never go there.

9er fans, of course, would be happy to forfeit all previous wins by their sad sacks this eyar and get Luck and Harbaugh both next year!

Comment

Working...
                  X