Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can Cam Newton win the Heisman?

Of all Newton's baggage, here's the thing that bothers me the most:
    He again violated the university’s honor code by putting his name on another student’s paper and turning it in, according to the source. Newton was caught after the instructor asked the real author of the paper why he had not turned in his work, the source said.

According to the source, after the student said he had turned in a paper, he and the instructor went through all the submissions and discovered that Newton had put his name on the paper in question.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootbal ... ng-scandal

So after papers had already been turned in, he somehow got access to them, stole a paper and replaced the original student's name on that paper with his, without consideration for that student or how things would play out once the instructor found out that one of his students hadn't turned in a paper.

Comment

FWIW, nobody comes close to him. Giving it to anybody else (Luck, or Robinson, or XY) would be a joke.
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
        FWIW, nobody comes close to him. Giving it to anybody else (Luck, or Robinson, or XY) would be a joke.
        What if one were to take 'with integrity' as an actual criterion (which, at face value, it appears to be)?

Comment

as noted on the tube this morning, he's already won the Camp and Maxwell, and the voting for those closed before the NCAA decision was reached, so those voters would/could have had a more negative view of him, and if there was no backlash there...

Comment

Last year's trio of Tebow, McCoy, and Bradford were, by far, my favorite trio ever. i wanted McCoy to beat Ingram, so all 3 would have one. I don't think it is surprising anyone that Bradford is thriving in the NFL, making the Rams better than they would have been without him. McCoy is making strides too, but it remains to be seen if Tebow will stick. I really, really think he should be a tight end. He can block, he can catch, and he has better speed than most give him credit for. He's good at the Wildcat too (obviously).

Comment

I heard a talking head on ESPN radio this morning point out that the Integrity clause in the Heisman Trophy's mission statement is something that was just recently added since the Reggie Bush fiasco. If true, it obviously would have been added for a reason. The irony of Peter Warwick vs Cam Newton would be that Warwick was denied the Heisman Trophy due to his lack of integrity off the field when there was no integrity clause in the mission statement, while Newton will win it in spite of his lack of integrity off the field after the integrity clause was added for specifically for bad actors.

The most troubling part of Newton's interview with Chris Fowler was when he channeled Mark McGuire during his congressional hearings. After Newton committed to Auburn, there were reports that an emotional Newton phoned a Mississippi State recruiter to express regret that he wouldn't be going to Mississippi State, stating that his father, Cecil, had chosen Auburn for him because "the money was too much." To his credit, Fowler wasn't shy about throwing fastballs and when he asked Newton to address these media reports, he said, "I'm not here to talk about reports". He could have said that all those reports are false and that he never discussed Auburn payouts or anything like that to any Mississippi State recruiter/coach, but he didn't. The response was very similar to Mark McGuire's "I'm not here to talk about the past" response.

Having said all this, I can see no justification for voting Newton 2nd or 3rd. He should either be voted 1st or left off the ballot altogether.

Comment

The Football Writers Association of America snubbed Cam Newton for first team all-America honors and selected Kellen Moore instead.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5909431

I like Moore but one knock on him is that he didn't get enough playing time. Because Boise State's defense was able to dominate most of its opponents, Moore didn't play in the second half of five games and didn't play in the 4th quarter of four more. If Moore had been on a team with a defense like Michigan's he would have likely played four quarters in every game and would have thrown for 6000 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                  If Moore had been on a team with a defense like Michigan's he would have likely played four quarters in every game and would have thrown for 6000 yards.
                  And would have increased his chance of injury. Cheap shots often come late in games when the pass-rushers are frustrated and willing to do 'whatever it takes' to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                    If Moore had been on a team with a defense like Michigan's he would have likely played four quarters in every game and would have thrown for 6000 yards.
                    And would have increased his chance of injury. Cheap shots often come late in games when the pass-rushers are frustrated and willing to do 'whatever it takes' to win.
                    Good point. Denard Robinson is always hurt though Moore doesn't run as much as Robinson does. Hell, no quarterback runs as much as Robinson does.

Comment

Newton, the third player from Auburn to win the Heisman, received 729 first-place votes and outpointed runner-up Andrew Luck of Stanford by 1,184 points. Oregon running back LaMichael James was third, followed by Boise State quarterback Kellen Moore, the other finalist.

Comment

Not that it would have affected the outcome, but the results would have been a lot closer if not for the fact that Newton was an Easterner up against three Westerners who were all competing for the same votes.

Comment

Appropriate that ESPN is showing their 30 for 30 on SMU following the Heisman presentation...
                          There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                            ESPN is showing their 30 for 30
                            The one on Marcus Dupree was heart-wrenching and fascinating.

Comment

OK, trivia question. Stanford has now had runner-up two years in a row. What was last school to do that? (hint: O.J. Simpson)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                                OK, trivia question. Stanford has now had runner-up two years in a row. What was last school to do that? (hint: O.J. Simpson)

If O.J. was the winner ('68?) the answer is probably Purdue. Leroy Keyes was the runner-up that year (I only know because the Eagles had third pick in the draft that year and took Keyes, who was a bust). I'm guessing the next year was Mike Phipps, although I'd have guessed they were classmates.

Comment

Working...
                                X