Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Stars?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/02/scien ... ef=science

I know some folks here--such as lonewolf--have had many sleepless nights pondering this question. The answer, it would appear, is: more than we can imagine.

Re: How Many Stars?

Originally posted by kuha
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/02/science/space/02star.html?ref=science

I know some folks here--such as lonewolf--have had many sleepless nights pondering this question. The answer, it would appear, is: more than we can imagine.
    I'll guess there are about 300 sextillion.
    That's more than the number of posts I have! :shock:

Comment

basically the same piece, but with some other details.

<<...The universe may glitter with far more stars than even Carl Sagan imagined when he rhapsodized about billions upon billions.

A new study suggests there are a mind-blowing 300 sextillion of them, or three times as many as scientists previously calculated. That is a 3 followed by 23 zeros. Or 3 trillion times 100 billion...>>

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z16zufoVdk

Comment

I also just heard (on NPR?) that that number is = to the total number of human cells in ALL the people on earth. (There's something like 1 trillion cells in each human body; some larger bodies may have more, I don't know...)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          That is a 3 followed by 23 zeros.
          And that's just stars in our little universe. Think about many there must be in the countless OTHER universes!! 8-)

Comment

How can anyone even venture a estimation? It's too big...

Comment

who really cares?

Comment

What a shocking and UNEXPECTED question!!!

:lol:

Comment

I also just heard (on NPR?) that that number is = to the total number of human cells in ALL the people on earth. (There's something like 1 trillion cells in each human body; some larger bodies may have more, I don't know...)
                  That would be 6^20, so quite a lot less than the number of stars.

Comment

Methinks that is a gentle jibe at my complete disinterest in the unanswerable and irrelevant question.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf

Methinks that is a gentle jibe at my complete disinterest in the unanswerable and irrelevant question.
                      NO! :lol:

Comment

Oh, for mercy sake's no, no, a thousand times no!! Well, maybe....

:lol:

Comment

my complete disinterest in the unanswerable and irrelevant question.
                          What question? :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                            my complete disinterest in the unanswerable and irrelevant question.
                            What question? :wink:
                            Pay attention, TOE.
                            The reference is to any/all unanswerable, irrelevant conundrums, including how many stars/planets/universes there are. Had I said "this" question, an infinite number of qualifiers/disclaimers would conceivably be necessary eventually. I efficiently nipped that contingency in the bud for perpetuity with one simple sentence.. :wink:
                            Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I can remember when I was in elementary school reading—and refusing to believe—that there were more stars than there were grains of sand on all the beaches on the planet. I just knew it couldn't be true, because I could almost count all the stars!

Comment

Working...
                              X