Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americans and travel abroad [split]

Seriously, what is it with Americans reluctance to travel outside the US ?? if i had big blocks of holiday you wouldn't see me for dust and not just to track meets :?

I don't understand why someone would wait for retirement to travel, i'm with Gazza on this one
    i deserve extra credit

Re: Bucket List

Originally posted by mump boy
    Seriously, what is it with Americans reluctance to travel outside the US ??....

Where did you pick up a silly notion like that?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      Originally posted by mump boy
      Seriously, what is it with Americans reluctance to travel outside the US ??....
      Where did you pick up a silly notion like that?
      http://www.theexpeditioner.com/2010/02/ ... assport-2/

but your Canadian aren't you Gaz ? this would explain your gallavanting

Also going to Canada from US doesn't really count as abroad in my book at least go to the Caribean. We'd kill to have those beaches on our doorstep
      i deserve extra credit

Comment

In defense of Americans, there is a lot to see in the US.

I was looking at travel prices from Madison to Florida, London and San Diego recently. To be honest going to London was pretty comparable price wise but why would I do that when i can go to a Florida beach? Better, I can save even more money by driving to Florida (Last time I drove to London from WI I nearly drowned).

Finally, Florida is probably more different to Wisconsin than London, so I'm going to count my drive to Florida as a trip to a foreign country.

Comment

Re: Coffee Cup List

Originally posted by Mighty Favog
          Re: foreign travel. Find me another country as vast, diverse and isolated as the USA and I'll find you another country whose people that travel a lot never leave their own borders.
          That's a much too-positive spin. Of course there's tons to see in the US, no question about it. But the percentage of Americans that have passports is surprisingly low (as noted in that link above). Many don't travel at all due to some combination of "fear" or discomfort, a basic sense that all that "really" matters is right here at home, and (worst of all) a fundamental lack of curiosity. Those folks end up with a very stunted vision of all sorts of important things. And, I'm sorry, but Canada just barely--barely--qualifies as "foreign" travel. You have to cross an international border, but--really--that is it. Just my two cents....

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
            I'm going to count my drive to Florida as a trip to a foreign country.
            Oh, it most definitely is . . . :shock:
            I'm still in culture shock, and I've lived here 9 years in the 70s and 80s, and from '93 on!

Comment

Oh puh-leeze! Americans don't own passports (or traditionally haven't) because there was no need to do so. Until 9/11 recently closed the borders, Americans could go to both neighbors without one.

And if you did an overlay of Canada-US-Mexico and put it in Europe, you could drive from the North Pole to Sudan in a vertical direction, and from Lisbon to the Caspian Sea horizontally.

Countries the size of Britain are called "a commute" in the U.S.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                Countries the size of Britain are called "a commute" in the U.S.
                That's the one thing Euro-types don't get when they bad-mouth for being so US-centric, we've already got plenty to deal with right here. I haven't been to half the cool American places that I should, nor met the vastly different kinds of people we embody.

Comment

="Mighty FavogRe: foreign travel. Find me another country as vast, diverse and isolated as the USA and I'll find you another country whose people that travel a lot never leave their own borders.

Canada but we do travel alot because we need a break from the cold.
                  YES the US (and Canada) are huge diverses countries but come on-you have seen on Target, Tim Hortons, one Wal-mart you have seen them all. :lol: :wink:

While no single country in Europe is a diverse or big as North America the fact that you can travel a few hours and be in a place with a different language, customs, food etc. is something truly special and enviable.

I travel three hours by plane and I am in Calgary. Brits travel three hours and they are in Greece.

Unfortunately for us North Americans getting to Europe and traipsing about is very expensive.

Getting to Paris and back to Greece are number 1 and 2 on my bucket list-no trackmeet required though it would be nice.
                  There is no meet in Canada worth travelling to I am afraid.

One last note-surely your wife could amuse herself for 3 hours in a beautiful European city while you took in a trackmeet!

Comment

I don't think anyone was trying to be ugly i was seriously asking about people's unwillingness to travel abroad.

Saying that US is big and diverse so that there is no need to travel is a bit lame. I once drove from LA to NY through all the southern states, visiting, San diego, El PAso, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville etc etc, it was amaaazing. We met loads of people along the way and when we explained what we were doing the most likely response was why ? !!!
                    i deserve extra credit

Comment

Re: Americans and travel abroad [split]

Exchange rate people. Americans traveling to Europe pay about a 35% premium owing to our weak dollar. If you want to travel and get a good deal, go to New Zealand where their dollar is weaker than ours. Great bargains down there. But again, I repeat, stay our of Europe unless you want to pay a premium.

Now if your rich like Marlow, just grab your personal G5 jet and go do it, because money is meaningless to you.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                        And, I'm sorry, but Canada just barely--barely--qualifies as "foreign" travel. You have to cross an international border, but--really--that is it. Just my two cents....
                        You do have to get used to a donut shop on every corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Rye Catcher
                          Now if your rich like Marlow, just grab your personal G5 jet and go do it, because money is meaningless to you.
                          Oh, you've seen it?

Just a little something I tool around in on the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                            you have seen one Target, Tim Hortons, one Wal-mart you have seen them all. :lol: :wink:
                            I have not seen any Tim Horton's in California, but am waiting patiently!....

Comment

Originally posted by Rye Catcher
                              Exchange rate people. Americans traveling to Europe pay about a 35% premium owing to our weak dollar. If you want to travel and get a good deal, go to New Zealand where their dollar is weaker than ours. Great bargains down there. But again, I repeat, stay our of Europe unless you want to pay a premium.

It's not that bad. The euro is drifting downward again, so prices are getting somewhat better. My nice little hotel in Paris was E100 per night--which is far more reasonable than a NYC hotel of comparable quality and location! It's true that pints at my favorite pub there were E6 each, but that's life...

New Zealand is always great, without question. Australia is a blast, too.

I love the US and have been in 49 states (all but N. Dakota)--and just about all (except Alaska) multiple times. But the US is a different critter from Europe, and the quality of one's experience is not at all simply a matter of miles driven. In Europe the "density" of cultural and historical novelty/incident is vastly higher than in the US. 600 or 800 miles in, say France and Italy, will result in a far higher degree of fresh experience than the same mileage here...

But those that know this, don't need to be told...and others find out on their own schedule (or not)...

Comment

Working...
                              X