Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coffee Cup List

Originally posted by mojo
    ="Mighty FavogRe: foreign travel. Find me another country as vast, diverse and isolated as the USA and I'll find you another country whose people that travel a lot never leave their own borders.
    While no single country in Europe is a diverse or big as North America the fact that you can travel a few hours and be in a place with a different language, customs, food etc. is something truly special and enviable.
    Quebec is the exception. I've not been there, but the wife has, and we will go in the near future. Note: the key to communicating in English is to speak French but pronounce it very badly.

There is no meet in Canada worth travelling to I am afraid.
    I went to the '07 AthCan Championships/WC Trials in Windsor (just a 45 min drive) and it was great. Aside from the 100H it didn't feature many major stars, but it was like the best and friendliest small-town track meet you could see. I imagine the little Finnish meets with a few big-time jav stars are very similar.

Comment

Re: Americans and travel abroad [split]

I was a Landed Immigrant in Canada for employment purposes circa 1968-69. I don't recall that I even had a passport. I travelled back and forth thru Great Falls/Calgary repeatedly with little more than a nod to Customs.
      Prior to 9/11 I travelled to Canada several times a year, either through Vancouver or the Peace Gate. I had a passport but never had to produce it.
      Serendipitally, I happened to return to the US on a redeye flight 9/1i/01, arriving in OKC about three hours before the planes hit the Twin Towers. It has been a different story since then.
      After 9/11, I have even been challenged entering Canada on a Seattle/Vancouver airport shuttle bus for carrying a 3 " pocket knife . I was reluctant to forfeit a heirloom knife that I had carried for nearly fifty years, Fortunately, I was able to reason with a supervisor that since pocket knives were readily avaiolable in Canada, it was not much of a security risk.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        Originally posted by kuha
        It's not that bad. The euro is drifting downward again, so prices are getting somewhat better. My nice little hotel in Paris was E100 per night-...
        Oh, you stayed in a fleabag!
        No--it's a favorite place of mine, but small & simple, and not on any fancy "best of Paris" list. I am a frugal traveler--which means I can do more of it for the same total $$.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha

No--it's a favorite place of mine, but small & simple, and not on any fancy "best of Paris" list. I am a frugal traveler--which means I can do more of it for the same total $$.
          You are so right. So let me guess. 7th arrondissement, Champ de Mars, even more precise, Rue Cler?

Comment

I know that area a bit, but, no, the hotel I usually use is in the Marais, the 4th, one block from the Metro St. Paul. Wonderful area...

Comment

Re: Bucket List

Originally posted by Daisy
              In defense of Americans, there is a lot to see in the US.

My husband has dual citizenship with Germany, and that's where all of his mom's relatives are, so he has been over there a zillion times. We had a lovely visit in March where we were able to combine visiting family with a pole vault conference

This fall we took two vacations, our last chance for many years to take kid-free vacations. He wanted to see parts of the US he has never seen before (which is large swaths of it), eat bbq, and visit State Parks in different states. Between the two trips we visited state parks in 9 states, ate a lot of BBQ, visited friends and relatives... all for a fraction of the price it would have cost us to get out to Europe.

Comment

Working...
              X