Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ohio State hoo-ha [split]

As if the NCAA couldn't embarrass itself anymore than it already has, now it has ruled that five Ohio State football players, who were caught with their hands in the cookie jar, will be allowed to play in the Sugar Bowl and wait until next season to receive their punishment because the Sugar Bowl is too important to be hurt by a consistent application of its rules.

The NCAA said in its news release that its policy for players in bowl games or championship events "recognizes the unique opportunity these events provide at the end of a season, and they are evaluated differently from a withholding perspective." Lennon said the ruling in this case is consistent with that policy.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5950873

In other words, at this point Cam Newton could be caught on video tape receiving a sack full of $100 bills from Gene Chiznik and he would still be allowed to play in the championship game because the stakes are too high to punish him in a timely manner.

Re: 2010 College Football

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    five Ohio State football players, who were caught with their hands in the cookie jar,
    To wit: "Five players were found to have sold awards, gifts and university apparel, plus receive improper benefits in 2009"

Here's my beef: Scholarship football players are NOT ALLOWED to have paying jobs (too many booster abuses available), so what DO they do to get spending money? If you can't sell things that BELONG TO YOU, what are you supposed to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      Here's my beef: Scholarship football players are NOT ALLOWED to have paying jobs (too many booster abuses available), so what DO they do to get spending money? If you can't sell things that BELONG TO YOU, what are you supposed to do?
      They're not allowed to get jobs during the season but thanks to those boosters, they do get summer jobs paying five times the hourly rate of average college students who get jobs as waiters and clerks in convenience stores.

Comment

they do get summer jobs paying five times the hourly rate of average college students
        Yeah, but a dude gots to get his bling!

Comment

I give up. What it that thing and where do you wear it? :?

Comment

The NCAA's ruling on the five Ohio State players has Dez Bryant seeing red and gives credence to May Mark's claim that the NCAA is biased in favor of and against certain schools.
            I guess I should have got into a lot of trouble in college...maybe I would have gotten less punishment? lol.

I lied and then came back and told the truth....I didn't take no money, was not communicating with no agents at all.. NCAA is crazy.
            http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/ ... a-is-crazy

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
              I give up. What it that thing and where do you wear it? :?
              That, my dear sir, is BLING! In this case a diamond-encrusted gold football. One may wear it as a ring, necklace charm, earring . . . and oh so discreetly. I believe this gentleman is correctly displaying his.

Comment

Obviously, the purpose of BLING escapes me. :?
                Besides, looks more like a diamond encrusted rugby ball. ..

Comment

Like many other middle income kids, I was lucky enough to have my college education paid for by my parents.... but my "social life" money was strictly my problem. My solution, I worked my a*s off every summer at a full time blue collar type job from the day I got home until the day I went back to school in the fall. That gave me my "play money" until the next summer, when a new cycle would start.

Well all these poor pampered athletes are getting a free education too. Why can't they actually work at a job in the summer, save money and pay for their tattoos and their social life with that money ? Instead they sell off awards given to them.

I will tell you one thing.... if I was financing any part of the cost of those awards, it would be a cold day down below that I would do it any more.

Very unclassy behavior but not all that surprisng, sadly. Pampered jerks.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                    Well all these poor pampered athletes are getting a free education too.
                    While I understand that they get to go to some classes, I contend they do not get a free education, as such. If the universities really wanted them to have a free education they would invite then back for four more years after they stop playing football. Who can find time for classes and homework when most of it is required in the weight room, the practice field, on the road and reviewing film of their opponents?

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                      Well all these poor pampered athletes are getting a free education too. Why can't they actually work at a job in the summer, save money and pay for their tattoos and their social life with that money ? Instead they sell off awards given to them.
                      That's just it, they all do have summer jobs paying much more than the average student. My brother was a walk-on at LSU back in the 80's and even he got hooked up with a summer job paying much more than my 7/11 job. He said the stars on the team, like Dalton Hilliard, were getting paid $25/hour back in those days, so I can only imagine what Terrell Pryor's job pays today.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                        While I understand that they get to go to some classes, I contend they do not get a free education, as such. If the universities really wanted them to have a free education they would invite then back for four more years after they stop playing football. Who can find time for classes and homework when most of it is required in the weight room, the practice field, on the road and reviewing film of their opponents?
                        If a player takes the minimum course load in the fall, takes a regular load in the spring when they have much more free time, and redshirts one year, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to graduate in five years unless he's goofing off the whole time.

Comment

If a player takes the minimum course load in the fall
                          That's still 12 credits but you're right about the spring. The compromise would be they are considered full time athletes in the fall and get two extra years to finish their education.

Comment

Re: The Ohio State hoo-ha [split]

Wow! Kirk Herbstreit absolutely trashed his fellow Buckeye Terrell Pryor on Colin Cowherd's radio show yesterday.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd= ... id=5951286

Comment

Re: The Ohio State hoo-ha [split]

Bizarrely, my nephew just got a Big Ten Ring for being on the team when the Minnesota Golden Gophers won the Indoors and Outdoors Men's track last year.

Needless to say, he is not going to sell it.

Comment

Working...
                              X