• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing short movies/documentaries

from another thread:
    Originally posted by gh
    I suspect that's because it's a documentary short, not a real "movie."
    What's your favorite short film (fiction or non-fiction)?

Can be animation . . . although I don't think Looney Tunes count . . .

I remember in Jr High they showed Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge and it messed me up bad for a long time. What if what you thought was your life was really just "your life in remembrance" right at the moment of death?! :shock:

When you think about it, all life is, is just the existential prelude to death!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Re: Amazing short movies/documentaries

Originally posted by Marlow
    I remember in Jr High they showed Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge and it messed me up bad for a long time. What if what your thought was your life was really just "your life in remembrance" right at the moment of death?! :shock:
    I remember that too! It made a big impression...

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
      I remember in Jr High they showed Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge and it messed me up bad for a long time. What if what your thought was your life was really just "your life in remembrance" right at the moment of death?! :shock:
      I remember that too! It made a big impression...
      It was also shown as an episode on The Twilight Zone. It still pulls a big punch at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
        It was also shown as an episode on The Twilight Zone. It still pulls a big punch at the end.
        Ah, ha! Yes, that must have been where I saw it originally. I don't want to turn this into a Twilight Zone thread, but I watched a bunch of episodes a couple weekends ago and was amazed at how great--and memorable--so many of them were.

Comment

and at how many of the actors went on to be big names...

Owl Creek a stunning episode, although my 10th-grade English teacher had ruined it for me by having us read the Bierce story the year before.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
            Ah, ha! Yes, that must have been where I saw it originally. I don't want to turn this into a Twilight Zone thread, but I watched a bunch of episodes a couple weekends ago and was amazed at how great--and memorable--so many of them were.
            I have all the episodes on DVD and watch them occasionally and they are still excellent. The only one I won't watch again, is The Good LIfe the one episode in the series that is truly a horror film. It ends on such a depressing and helpless note.

As to the actors in the film, when I watch old shows or movies on netflix, I sometimes will count how many Zone alumni are in a scene.

Comment

I remember in Jr High they showed etc. etc. . .
              The one I remember from that time was The Lottery, about a small town that has an annual lottery. There was a bit of a grim punchline . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                I remember in Jr High they showed etc. etc. . .
                The one I remember from that time was The Lottery, about a small town that has an annual lottery. There was a bit of a grim punchline . . .
                Yes, the Shirley Jackson short story. She also wrote the Haunting of Hill House, which the excellent movie The Haunting was based on.

Comment

I wouldn't play "ask the devil" in roadside cafés for years after seeing Shatner and his wife get traumatized. (It was Shatner wasn't it? No, not confusing w/ the gremlins-on-the-plane episode)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    I wouldn't play "ask the devil" in roadside cafés for years after seeing Shatner and his wife get traumatized. (It was Shatner wasn't it? No, not confusing w/ the gremlins-on-the-plane episode)
                    Yes, it was Shatner. And it is unsettling still, though I really do like it, especially when the other couple come back at the end and are completely drawn into the power of the devil machine. There is obviously no escape for those two.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Yes, it was Shatner. And it is unsettling still, though I really do like it, especially when the other couple come back at the end and are completely drawn into the power of the devil machine. There is obviously no escape for those two.
                      Yes, that was one of the ones I saw again a week or so ago. Very powerful stuff. And fascinating from a "gender" standpoint, since it was the woman who was clear-eyed and not tempted by the irrational, and the male who fell under the spell of superstition and had to fight loose from it (following the woman's lead).

Comment

The Stranger Left No Card.

Comment

Shortest and funniest and most favorite short for me would be: Godzilla meets Bambi. Poignant, sad, tragic.......funny!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
                            Shortest and funniest and most favorite short for me would be: Godzilla meets Bambi. Poignant, sad, tragic.......funny!
                            Ha - made me look!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
                              Ha - made me look!

I'm partial to Charles Barkley vs. Barney myself . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X