Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Swan

Aside from the dancing, which bored me, perhaps because I cannot tell good ballet from bad ballet, I predict this film and Natalie Portman, who has come a long way from the pre-pubescent waif in The Professional, will win Oscars but, despite review warnings, I was not prepared for the dark, disturbing, descent into madness of her character.

I can appreciate somber films like Winters Bones, which are not fun movies but do entertain by informing or telling a story and maybe it is just me but I am having a hard time dismissing this film as "just a movie."

Anybody else have this reaction?

Re: Black Swan

i loved it, it as completely bonkers but just as compelling
    i deserve extra credit

Comment

It was both amazing and ludicrous and I still can't decide which. WAY over the top and destined to become a camp classic of Mommie Dearest proportions but still completely compelling and Natalie Portman gave easily the best performance I've seen this (Last) year.

Comment

The more i think about it the more i like it

not to spoil anything but the main scene at the end was one of my favourite ever
        i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
          The more i think about it the more i like it

not to spoil anything but the main scene at the end was one of my favourite ever
          Very dramatic and conclusive... I know it is fiction and I knew it was coming but having developed empathy for the character, I kept hoping for a less distressing ending.

Comment

I thought it was ridiculous and left the theater feeling I had wasted both my time and money.

Comment

I think it would have been a great movie.....done in 1950, with Vincent Price, Joan Crawford and ingenue of your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
                I think it would have been a great movie.....done in 1950, with Vincent Price, Joan Crawford and ingenue of your choice.
                Jeanne Craine or Jean Simmons.

Comment

In 1921 Harry Pace (worked in the music business, grew tired of watching black performers getting raw treatment) started...Black Swan...a record label featuring black performers (mostly jazz) for the black listener. The first record label to do that. Their logo was a black swan a float on a pond.

paste...

Pace Phonograph Corporation was renamed Black Swan Phonograph Company in the fall of 1922. Both the record label and production company were named after 19th century opera star Elizabeth Taylor Greenfield, who was known as the Black Swan.[4][5]

Noted author, activist, and academic W.E.B. Du Bois was a stockholder and member of the Board of Directors of Black Swan. Ads for Black Swan often ran in The Crisis, the magazine of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, which Du Bois edited.[6] [7] [8]

Comment

Working...
                  X