• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscars

BEST PICTURE

• Black Swan
    • The Fighter
    • Inception
    • The Kids are All Right (Marlow....Ahem)
    • Toy Story 3
    • The King’s Speech
    • The Social Network
    • True Grit
    • Winter’s Bone
    • 127 Hours

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

• Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
    • Colin Firth, The King’s Speech
    • James Franco, 127 Hours
    • Jeff Bridges, True Grit
    • Javier Bardem, Biutiful

BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

• Annette Bening, The Kids are All Right (Marlow....Ahem)
    • Nicole Kidman, Rabbit Hole
    • Jennifer Lawrence, Winter’s Bone
    • Natalie Portman, Black Swan
    • Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine

It will be between King's Speech and Social Network for movie.
    Colin Firth for actor
    Benning or Portman for actress.

Ny picks: The Fighter; Firth; Benning.

Re: Oscars

Ny picks: The Fighter; Firth; Benning.
    Mine: Inception; Eisenberg, because JB got it last year; Lawrence

Comment

If Aaron Sorkin doesn't get the screenwriting O for Social Network then there's no justice in the world.

What a stunning bit of badinage he created. The best of West Wing and A Few Good Men all wrapt into one.

I wondered how they could make such a banal topic into compelling theater but they certainly did.

Comment

Meanwhile, Christopher Nolan, (like James Cameron before him), doesn't get a sniff at the director's Oscar, despite mounting (superbly) the biggest, most interesting film of the year. Whether you liked the movie itself, I think everyone has to admit the movie was 'epic' in it sweep, as was Avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          Meanwhile, Christopher Nolan, (like James Cameron before him), doesn't get a sniff at the director's Oscar, despite mounting (superbly) the biggest, most interesting film of the year. Whether you liked the movie itself, I think everyone has to admit the movie was 'epic' in it sweep, as was Avatar.
          I (my wife even more so) could use a few adjectives for Avatar. "Epic" was not of them.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Finally got to see 127 hours so have seen all movies nominated. For pure entertainment purposes only I'd rank the movies thusly:

1. The Fighter.
            2. The King's Speech.
            3. Winter's bone.
            4. Inception.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              It was epically awful

Shows the Director's branch have some taste.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
                For pure entertainment purposes only I'd rank the movies thusly:

1. The Fighter.
                2. The King's Speech.
                3. Winter's bone.
                4. Inception.
                Of the BP nominees, for entertainment alone, I'd say
                1. Inception
                2. True Grit
                3. Social Network
                4. The Fighter
                5. Toy Story 3

For best film-making, I'd say
                1. Inception
                2. Social Network
                3. Winter's Bone
                4. True Grit
                5. King's Speech

Comment

Having previously established that I am not qualified to watch and appreciate "films", I am beginning to wonder if I am even qualified to watch "movies" much less review them. (Not that anyone asked. )
                  The Kings Speech is getting all the Oscar talk while I thought it was the most boring, nothing movie of the year...or any year.
                  Wait, maybe this was a film.. :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                    Having previously established that I am not qualified to watch and appreciate "films", I am beginning to wonder if I am even qualified to watch "movies" much less review them. (Not that anyone asked. )
                    The Kings Speech is getting all the Oscar talk while I thought it was the most boring, nothing movie of the year...or any year.
                    Indeed - your movie-going privileges are hereby REVOKED!!
                    You may watch old movies on AMC, but that is it!! :P

Comment

As far as watching movies goes: individual taste is individual taste and not to be confused by what critic's say. That's why I like T&F. The winner is the winner and in most cases subjectivity does not enter into it......unless you have the Olympics in Moscow.

Comment

unless you have the Olympics in Moscow.
                        or if you're talking about Pre when 'coulda, woulda, shoulda' seems to be more important than results

back to film

i thought Kings Speech was very disappointing the kind of film we can make in our sleep in the UK but not a very good version of it
                        i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                          back to film

i thought Kings Speech was very disappointing the kind of film we can make in our sleep in the UK but not a very good version of it
                          Seems lonewolf thinks it was made in somebody's sleep! Don't forget us Yanks are still envious of Royalty. We would have loved to have kept Royalty, just dumped the Government that came with it.

Comment

back to film

Seems lonewolf thinks it was made in somebody's sleep! Don't forget us Yanks are still envious of Royalty. We would have loved to have kept Royalty, just dumped the Government that came with it.
                            you're welcome to them :?

can we have your president please (only the current one though, definitely not the last one)
                            i deserve extra credit

Comment

[can we have your president please (only the current one though, definitely not the last one)
                              So, are such posts by non-USAnians not considered political?

Comment

Working...
                              X