X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oscars

Originally posted by lonewolf
    Originally posted by mump boy
    [can we have your president please (only the current one though, definitely not the last one)
    So, are such posts by non-USAnians not considered political?
    i wasn't being political, just making the observation that your current president would be very popular in the UK, your previous one would provoke a revolution that would put Egypt to shame.

anyway back to films again

i saw 127 hours yesterday it was a bit boring and the pay off wasn't worth having to sit through an hour of nothing and hallucinations.

i also saw Blue Valentine last week, i wouldn't say it was enjoyable (don't see it with your partner) but it was really good and the acting was outstanding

True Grit
    The Fighter
    and Brighton Rock this week
    i deserve extra credit

Comment

[i wasn't being political, just making the observation that your current president would be very popular in the UK, your previous one would provoke a revolution that would put Egypt to shame.
      :?: :?: :?: :?:
      Oh, well then.....I feel free to make a non-political observation that a majority of Americans wish you, or somebody, had our current President too.,,
      Back to movies.

Comment

and Brighton Rock this week
        Brighton Rock out already?

You're going to have to report back on that one. Should be excellent. Can't wait to get back to Greeneland!

Have you seen "Disappearance of Alice Creed"? with Gemma Arterton. Not to be missed.

Comment

i saw 127 hours yesterday it was a bit boring and the pay off wasn't worth having to sit through an hour of nothing and hallucinations.
          If you know what's coming, as I did, It was a long wait until he does his thing! When he finally got around to it (the bones bit) I unfortunately had my hand on my wife's knee and squeezed so hard involuntarily that I made her squeal (sotto voce of course.)

i also saw Blue Valentine last week, i wouldn't say it was enjoyable (don't see it with your partner) but it was really good and the acting was outstanding
          I loved the acting in this but it is a downer. My wife and I saw it surrounded by "very senior citizens" and the sex scenes caused quite a kerfluffle. I thought Gosling's performance especially poignant. But do not go if you've just been married.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
            If you know what's coming, as I did, It was a long wait until he does his thing! When he finally got around to it (the bones bit) I unfortunately had my hand on my wife's knee and squeezed so hard involuntarily that I made her squeal (sotto voce of course.)

I loved the acting in this but it is a downer. My wife and I saw it surrounded by "very senior citizens" and the sex scenes caused quite a kerfluffle. I thought Gosling's performance especially poignant. But do not go if you've just been married.
            in 127 hours i needed to see more of his panic as he realised he was actuallt trapped, more emotion and more build up to 'the moment'.

One minute he was hallucinating about his parents and a swimming pool, the next he's chopping his arm off. Didn't really work for me at all
            i deserve extra credit

Comment

Just saw The Fighter it was enjoyable in a soap opera kind of way but i didn't think it was a very good film

having said that there should be an Oscar for casting it was genius. I never knew Christian Bale could actually act act :shock: he was brilliant and should win every award going. Melissa Leo was also great but the biggest awards should be a group one for all the sisters who were the best thing i've seen in a film for ages :lol: :lol:
              i deserve extra credit

Comment

The Kings Speech is getting all the Oscar talk while I thought it was the most boring, nothing movie of the year...or any year.

Comment

The show bored me to tears! Franco was weird and useless. The show badly needed comedy relief. When Billy Crystal came out I hoped he'd stay. But then I guess the show mirrors the average movie: 80% fluff, 20% substance.

Comment

I never watch self-congratulatory award shows, they get tedious really quickly.

Currently in the show business realm, The Charlie Sheen Goes Psychotic Publically reality show seems a lot more entertaining, albeit tragic for the few who care about him.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
                      I never watch self-congratulatory award shows, they get tedious really quickly.

Currently in the show business realm, The Charlie Sheen Goes Psychotic Publically reality show seems a lot more entertaining, albeit tragic for the few who care about him.
                      The self involved versus the self congratulatory? When Charlie accepts that he is fueling a mood disorder (Bi-Polar most likely) with the wrong drugs, he may become too boring to be quasi interesting.

Comment

The Kings Speech is getting all the Oscar talk while I thought it was the most boring, nothing movie of the year...or any year.
                        The Academy likes to balance the standard "Hollywood trash" by recognizing more traditional films. If you make a period piece, especially one with British accents, you are guaranteed a nomination. In a year without another film that's a runaway lock, the period pic will usually rake in a lot of Oscars.

The Kings Speech was good but forgettable. Don't think I'd ever watch it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
                          The Academy likes to balance the standard "Hollywood trash" by recognizing more traditional films. If you make a period piece, especially one with British accents, you are guaranteed a nomination. In a year without another film that's a runaway lock, the period pic will usually rake in a lot of Oscars.

The Kings Speech was good but forgettable. Don't think I'd ever watch it again.
                          The pompous windbag theory of Oscar voting

Comment

I saw "Barney's Version" a few week's back and thought, wow, there will be acting nominations for this in next year's Oscars, Giamatti for actor and Driver for best suppporting actress to be sure, and then found out that it received one measley nomination this year in a very minor category. I learned a long time ago not to let awards shows affect my movie or T.V. choices. Another post in "Things not Track and Field" is favorite movie that no one has seen. "Barney's Verson" should be added to the list. It is based upon a Mordecai Richter story, and has only been out a short while. It is worth seeing (especially if you are put off by movies that rely on special effects).

Comment

I missed the Oscars this year. The entire Horizontal Jump crew had a little dinner/bash at an Albuquerque restuarant Sunday night after the meet ..... the War Stories flew and was much more enjoyable and beneficial.

Comment

Working...
                              X