Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a smart guy

Not earth-shattering, but a very interesting story about a great writer, his passion for butterflies, and how long it took for science to catch up with a perfectly conceived theory.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/scien ... ef=science

Re: a smart guy

Originally posted by kuha
    how long it took for science to catch up with a perfectly conceived theory.
    Or better, 'how long it took science to develop the tools to test his hypothesis'. It doesn't sound as bad that way

Comment

I was under impression that the Bering Strait is a fairly young development. According to this article, it already separated the two continents 10 million years ago.
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
        I was under impression that the Bering Strait is a fairly young development. According to this article, it already separated the two continents 10 million years ago.
        I think the strait's a bit like some posters here: it appears every once in a while, stays for some time, then disappears again. The strait is very shallow so it doesn't take a huge change in sea level to cover or expose big chunks of land.

Comment

It's also my understanding that the last big Ice Age was from around 20,000 to 10,000 BC, forming a solid ice bridge.

Comment

Birds are interesting in several regards. Some, particularly the crows as shown, have an surprising degree of reasoning ability that they can combine with physical capabilities. In addition, birds live a lot longer than their counterparts by size and respiratory rate. I think that the lifetime and rate of generating new birds (having babies) are related (see several sections in the book Oxygen that I cited in the 'What are Your Reading' thread).

Longer life might give a higher value to intelligence over ingrained patterns (you will hit more diverse problems to solve over your life and they are not so easily pattern-designed).

Comment

Working...
            X