• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the greatest TV characters of all-time

Originally posted by JRM
    Originally posted by Pego
    ...not mentioned yet,
    Herb Tarlek
    I'm glad to see this represented here! WKRP is, in my book, the funniest and best-written sitcom of the 80s, if not of all time. It rarely gets the respect it deserves.
    And if we are going to mention the 1980's, any of several characters on Nightcourt deserve some consideration begining with the judge.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
      Originally posted by tandfman
      I thought almost all of the characters on "Are You Being Served" were terrific, but if I had to name one, I'd say Mrs. Slocum (played by Mollie Sugden).
      The show was too over the top for my tastes. I much preferred "Yes, Minister" and the the follow-up, "Yes, Prime Minister." Which brings Sir Humphrey Appleby (Nigel Hawthorne) into the mix as one of the great characters.
      I think British sit-coms need to be in a separate category. The humor is different and would often never work in a USA setting but works on its own terms. Our cousins have a way with farce that Americans rarely match. Hyacinth Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances is another over-the-top character that was great in a British sit-com but would not work in an American one. The closest thing would be Luci but she was more slapstick than farce.

Comment

in the category of indispensable real-life characters, I'd probably start with James Burke.

Comment

Now that we are back on line again....

Another of my favorite tv characters were Neil Burnside, played by Roy Marsden, in The Sandbaggers and Callan, the eponymous character played by Edward Woodward.

Comment

I already did Burnside too :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              I already did Burnside too :mrgreen:
              I should have known.

Comment

my compliments on your obviously discerning tastes

Comment

How about the kids (Beaver, ...)

My sentimental favorite was John Provost (Timmy-Lassie). My dad performed the wedding ceremony for his older sister and he and I ran all around the church afterward while they looked for us. We were the same size (small) and age and he was completely unpretentious (as I remember it). Unfortunately, he had some problems in the next stage of life, if I recall correctly.

Comment

Working...
                  X