Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Ensemble Actors

The category of best TV charcters of all-time got me to thinking about who the greatest ensemble actors were, actors on shows where they portrtayed or created multiple characters. This is pretty much limited to comedies or variety shows:
    Sid Caeser
    Imogene Coca
    Jonathan Winters
    Carol Burnett
    Tim Conway
    Rick Moranis
    Andrea Martin
    Red Skelton
    (I still can't decide who my favorite Python is.)

Re: TV Ensemble Actors

No one from SNL? And I do not think you can mention others from SCTV without including John Candy.

Comment

I'm not sure if "ensemble" is the right word. It's usually used in acting for a group of actors working together. Ensemble in French means "together." Versatile might be better. Anyhoooo.
      My one addition would be:

Danny Kaye

Comment

Favorite living Python: Michael Palin. The 'living" qualification tells you who I really liked the best. I got to see Dr. Graham Chapman on a tour promoting the Dangerous Sports Club (inventors of bungee-jumping) a few years before he became an ex-Chapman. An interesting man on multiple levels.

Mike Myers deserves to be on the list. If we expand the topic to films, then Peter Sellers in The Mouse That Roared comes to mind as well.

Comment

No. I wanted to limit it to TV and not films, which would be a different thread. I guess I didn't consider SNL performers because its had so many not very funny years. From SCTV I also liked Flaherty, Candy and Thomas, but considered Moranis to be the best of the lot. And Andrea Martin was so good because she was willing to let herself be unattractive for the sake of the character. I don't remember Danny Kaye from early television so didn't even consider him.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE
            I don't remember Danny Kaye from early television so didn't even consider him.
            put his "name and tv and you tube" into google.

Comment

Anybody remember the old Jackie Gleason Show ? Ralph Kramden was just one of several characters he played, such as The Poor Soul and Reggie VanGleason . Those are the 2 I recall, might have been more....?

Comment

Well if you expand it to films and talk of Peter Sellers, how about "Dr. Strangelove", with his TRIPLE role of:

President Muffley
                Captain Mandrake
                Dr. Strangelove

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE
                  No. I wanted to limit it to TV and not films, which would be a different thread. I guess I didn't consider SNL performers because its had so many not very funny years.
                  I agree about the later years but all of the cast in the late 1970's were exceptional.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                    Well if you expand it to films and talk of Peter Sellers, how about "Dr. Strangelove", with his TRIPLE role of:

President Muffley
                    Captain Mandrake
                    Dr. Strangelove
                    Long before Peter Sellers, there was Alec Guiness in Kind Hearts and Coronets.

Comment

Working...
                    X