Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justified

Dang! I watched my first epidode of Justified tonight at GH's suggestion.. Now I gotta go do a catchup ala "24".
    I will take a while to sort out the characters but I can see the potential for lots of satisfying, well earned come-uppance.... and that Mama is a mean 'un.

Re: Justified

What I tol' you?!?!
    You are custom-made for Justified, Lonewolf!
    You gotta start from the first episode, though. Don't know if all episodes are available.

Comment

All I can say about Season 3 is...wow

There are very few(none) greatly scripted, superbly acted villains on TV these days. Robert Quarles is a notable exception, who gets better with each episode as he inches closer to a psychopathic meltdown. If Neal McDonough doesnt get the Best Supporting Actor Emmy this year it will be an absolute travesty. Unfortunately, I suspect he won't be around past this season.

Here's a taste from this week's episode. Three remain in the season.

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/justified/13043720
      There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
        There are very few(none) greatly scripted, superbly acted villains on TV these days. Robert Quarles is a notable exception, who gets better with each episode as he inches closer to a psychopathic meltdown. If Neal McDonough doesnt get the Best Supporting Actor Emmy this year it will be an absolute travesty. Unfortunately, I suspect he won't be around past this season.
        Has anyone else noticed that Quarles, Limehouse and Boyd (and sometimes Raylan) have identical, diction, syntax, cadence and delivery? Whoever writes this thing has one shtick and puts it in all the main characters' mouths? They are all way too grandiloquent for backwoods Harlan County, Kentucky!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          ...They are all way too grandiloquent for backwoods Harlan County, Kentucky!!!

Of course, as a Detroit-based Dixie Mafioso, that's a big part of Quarles character brilliance - the big-city carpetbagger come to Harlan County to push around the resident idiots for the Oxy trade. Except they're not quite as backwards, or easy pushovers, as he expected...

Comment

Marlow prefers more realistic dialogue and sophisticated delivery like the way Batman talked in Dark Knight :wink: !!!

Of course none of these people resemble anything found in Harlan County anymore than the scenary does (like the eucalyptus trees in the background.) It is an Elmore Leonard guided production and just a TV show. Me, I think it is the second best series on TV, just after Breaking Bad and slightly ahead of Southland.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
              Marlow prefers more realistic dialogue and sophisticated delivery like the way Batman talked in Dark Knight :wink: !!!
              Ofergudnisake! He's BATMAN - he's supposed to talk that way - he's got a persona to maintain!!!!!

Originally posted by jhc68
              . . . just a TV show.
              ??!! :shock: :shock: If it's 'just' a TV, why invest ANY emotional energy in it at all?!
              The only way books, movies, TV shows, etc., have ANY influence on us is if we 'commit' ourselves to their 'reality'. When I suspend my disbelief, I can NOT have them burst my bubble with 'illogic' (relative to the world created), like people talking as they shouldn't!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                Has anyone else noticed that Quarles, Limehouse and Boyd (and sometimes Raylan) have identical, diction, syntax, cadence and delivery? Whoever writes this thing has one shtick and puts it in all the main characters' mouths? They are all way too grandiloquent for backwoods Harlan County, Kentucky!!!
                I credit "The Wire" for this. A show with real patois, but eloquent patois. Then came "Deadwood" with it's characters as florally verbose as any Shakespearean or Dickensian. The best story teller in my old timers crowd is a high school dropout, high rise construction worker from New York.

Comment

I note improbable/inaccurate speech, vocabulary, accent, syntax, etc by some character in virtually every film/TV show I watch.. whaddyagonnado?

Comment

The dialogue is 90% of what makes this show great.

By the way, Jere Burns' facial expressions as henchman Wynn Duffy are priceless. He knows Quarles is psychotic, but has no choice but to go along for the ride.

Comment

I second Guru on both counts.

Marlow is right in that the Justified dialogue IS in a rhythm and patter that no human ever really uses, but that is true with most every screenplay or novel, especially the work of Elmore Leonard, who is closely associated with the production. And I find the Justified talk highly amusing.

As for Burns is priceless as he constantly tries to evaluate and re-evaluate how to stay alive in the company of Quarles and Raylon.

Comment

Another great episode this week, as the show continues to build to an epic showdown two weeks hence on two fronts - Quarles and the myriad of folks who want him dead, and Limehouse and the myriad of chararcters that want the $3 million of Bennett money he's got squirreled away - the problem being no one knows exactly where.

One slight criticism. They should be more careful about the businesses they allow the cameras to catch. A medical practice located in Newhall, California in the background of an outdoor shot kind of ruins the whole Harlan Kentucky illusion lol

Comment

i was worried early in the season about the quality of the whole production, but it really has been on a roll of late. Just wonderful stuff all around.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            i was worried early in the season about the quality of the whole production, but it really has been on a roll of late. Just wonderful stuff all around.
                            There seems to be a whole lotta folks in that neck of the woods that like to shoot first and ask questions later! How are they gonna keep up the weekly body count - won't they run out of bodies in Harlan County?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              There seems to be a whole lotta folks in that neck of the woods that like to shoot first and ask questions later! How are they gonna keep up the weekly body count - won't they run out of bodies in Harlan County?
                              The city fathers must hope for a high birth rate to counteract the mortality rate (I know, they cancel each other out: each is one-per-person.)

My father once mentioned the same problem in Cabot Cove, although their death rate was apparently higher among visitors than among residents.

Comment

Working...
                              X