Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarming newspaper biz news from Nashville

The Tennessean, the newspaper in the state capital of Nashville, has laid off many prominent writers from thier staff, including the city editor, the very influential sports colomnist Joe Biddle, and also very influential music writer Peter Cooper, who is now part time.

There is also talk that the Tennessean will discontinue publishing the paper on Mondays and Tuesdays. Wow. Just ten years or so ago, Nashville had two papers and probably every driveway in town had one or the other. Not anymore.

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusi ... in_updated

Re: Alarming newspaper biz news from Nashville

The 20th Century was theirs, in some communities a virtual advertising monopoly. It's over. My concern is for jobs. Other than that, I could care less about the local rag.

My TV-employed brother informs me that the market #1 has told its personnel to take three weeks of unpaid leave.

Comment

Gannett-owned Indianapolis Star just laid off 60 more..... 2nd or 3rd cutback in last several years. Rumors are rampant re intermediate-term future of a daily newspaper here in Indianapolis.

Comment

The newspaper biz is obviously not a growth industry. The tragic thing is that the great newspapers had real reporters out in the field: the facts were gathered by professionals with some sense of objectivity. Then, experienced editors made judgments about what was important for the public to know.

We're getting further and further into an infotainment culture that has no allegiance to that old professional--and reasonably objective--system at all. Collectively, we will probably become even stupider than we already are, as each facet of the info-consuming public will be fed a diet of precisely what they already know and approve of.

Comment

Won't people still want the same quality reporting, even if in different form (internet)?

What about television? I didn't know that format was hurting. Why is ESPN doing so well, then? Why is NBC paying so much for the Olympics?

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
            Won't people still want the same quality reporting, even if in different form (internet)?

What about television?
            What about television? You can't take television seriously as a daily news medium.

Comment

Working...
            X