Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding in Public

Does breastfeeding in public bother you?

I had a baby right in the middle of the high school track season. I am breastfeeding and he needs to eat about every two hours, so he got nursed at a lot of track meets. I don't use a nursing cover or even a blanket most of the time, but it's also chilly all of track season here, so I'm wearing a lot of layers and I doubt the casual observer would see much.

At the state track meet, I was stuck on the infield (facing the main stands) for hours and hours of pole vault competition. Eddie got fed twice and diaper changed once in full view of the crowd.

No one has ever said anything to me about it, but I read a lot of stories online about random strangers who will approach breastfeeding women and tell them they think they should cover up or go somewhere else.

Does it bother you?

Re: Breastfeeding in Public

Originally posted by polevaultpower
    Does it bother you?
    Not if you have one of those sling things that shields you and the baby. I think that's cute.
    On the other hand, I'm old-fashioned enough to prefer not to see a kid sucking on a bare teat.

Comment

No sling (while breastfeeding), but I usually have a tank top below the baby and a sweatshirt or whatever above him and of course his head is covering my boob, so there's not much to see 99% of the time. Especially since he was <2 months old during the track season, so he usually got down to business or fell asleep while nursing. Now he's starting to look around more and get distracted, so the crowd at my beach vault might get more of a show :P

Comment

I always considered nursing, in private or public as a perfectly normal activity. Sheepishness of some people over the practice never fails to amaze me.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

another perfectly-inquisitive, non-toxic question you could have asked on Not Track.

The touching of the third rail is pretty much limited to religion and politics.

Oh, and my vote is that breastfeeding in public should be viewed as a perfectly normal part of the human experience. I'm sure in most nations other than the North Americans and their hangup about mammaries the question wouldn't even arise.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            I'm sure in most nations other than the North Americans and their hangup about mammaries the question wouldn't even arise.
            I'm pretty sure there are limited hang-ups in Canada (the more contentious issue in recent memory was topless parks).

In fact, I find that many of the current 'hot' topics in this sub-form -- gay marriage, socialized medicine, circumcision, public nursing, etc... -- are almost exclusively American, and old news north of the 49th parallel.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              another perfectly-inquisitive, non-toxic question you could have asked on Not Track.

You're mocking my attempts at stirring the pot.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                Originally posted by gh

You're mocking my attempts at stirring the pot.

Chastised for not being controversial enough? :roll:

I breastfed in public discreetly way back in the 80's and never once was hassled. It is a very small minority that have a problem with it.

Love the name Eddie.

Maybe I should say I hate the name and we could get into a big fist a cuff over that? :P

Comment

No problems at all with it. My wife did it, all our friends did it. At least here, it's really common.

What's weird is that before I became a dad and I would catch a sight of a boob while a woman was breastfeeding, I had typical moron guy sexy feelings. Since then, my first and only thought now on seeing a tit in public is that I'm glad the mom is breastfeeding since it's so good for the baby. I'm completely desensitized to seeing tits now. Quite sad actually.

Comment

If the woman isn't fully covered, I feel somewhat uncomfortable, but I would never want to ban or discourage it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
                      What's weird is that before I became a dad and I would catch a sight of a boob while a woman was breastfeeding, I had typical moron guy sexy feelings.
                      Uh, as a guy I say speak for yourself on that one. There's nothing very sexual about a boob while it's attached to a kids mouth. Yes, it's natural...but don't see it as sexual. Break the suction and remove the kid -- different story :wink:

Comment

I guess my problem stems from too many situations where I'm sitting right across from a woman (happened last on a NYC subway) and I can't NOT look and of course, I can't stare, so I felt very uncomfortable. Sorry.

Comment

We were all breast fed and my mom was very open about it. Saw her breast feed my youngest brother and sister many times. But in public absolutely it should be covered up. This is about respect for other people.

Comment

We all agree that it's natural. If that's the case, why does it make some uncomfortable to see it happening in public? I think our (American) sexualization of any form of nudity is the problem.

Comment

What's REALLY odd/sad is that it doesn't surprise some to see a handgun strapped to the side of individuals in open-carry states, but the image of a woman breast feeding in public will cause whispers, disapproving looks, and (some) requests to stop doing it in public in those same locations.

Comment

Working...
                              X