Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• there's a Women's World Cup going on?

the SF Chron has a longtime tennis writer who goes to Wimbledon every year (and does a great job).

His musings today included this: <<... England has a pretty good team. Over the past two days (the team was idle) there wasn't one story about the team or the tournament in the London-based Times, Guardian, Independent or Telegraph>>

Re: there's a Women's World Cup going on?

I'm following it, but if you don't think there isn't 'sexism' (defined broadly) in sports, all you have to do is see the HUUUUUGE gap between the media coverage of the men's vs. the women's WCup.

Comment

There's also reverse sexism in sports like figure skating and gymnastics.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        I'm following it, but if you don't think there isn't 'sexism' (defined broadly) in sports, all you have to do is see the HUUUUUGE gap between the media coverage of the men's vs. the women's WCup.
        Nonsense. It has nothing to do with sexism, it's purely a function of lack of interest. Women's football is nothing like the men's game. There isn't anything wrong with it if that's what you want to spend your time watching, but I know very few football fans who have any interest at all in the women's game (in fact I know two, both Americans). It is, simply,....lacking in comparison. As is the men's game in the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
          Nonsense. It has nothing to do with sexism, it's purely a function of lack of interest. Women's football is nothing like the men's game. There isn't anything wrong with it if that's what you want to spend your time watching, but I know very few football fans who have any interest at all in the women's game (in fact I know two, both Americans). It is, simply,....lacking in comparison. As is the men's game in the Olympics.
          I agree, not sexism at all. It just isn't very interesting. Unlike Mark, I don't know anyone at all who cares about it.

Comment

Not that it matters to anyone but me, but I for one am enjoying it. Not as fast or "athletically accomplished" as the men's game, but that's true for women's T&F, and I still enjoy it as much as the men's events. Obviously -- as in many women's sports -- also not as deep or accomplished in terms of teams -- only 16 in WCup to begin with, and the matches won't really be interesting til the quarterfinals. But all that noted, I do enjoy the women's game as much as I enjoy the men's.

Comment

Conor and Mark, let me introduce myself- so now you can say you know me, and know I am following the women's world cup. I played a bit of recreation league soccer, have always followed the game some, but not the pro leagues. I enjoy the women's games as much as the mens- maybe even more as they don't suffer from testosterone poisoning and the behavior abberations it sometimes brings on.

Comment

The matches I have watch (only the late, 9AM PDT, 5AM is a bit early for me ) have not been very interesting, as in can you say blowout? The only thing of interest in the US-Colombia match was could Wambach get off the schneid? Not so much, a couple of good saves and some throat grabbing, capped with a yellow card (kinda chippy, but...). Maybe it's time to bring on Alex.

The Brazil-Norway encounter, more of the same, except Marta played up to expectations.

I haven't seen German yet, but they seem to be coasting. Maybe France will be the wakeup call. I'll see tomorrow.

Comment

I'm following it, but if you don't think there isn't 'sexism' (defined broadly) in sports
                  Nonsense. It has nothing to do with sexism
                  You didn't like my pun (BROADly defined)? I was hoping it was obvious I did not mean the usual sexism; instead it is the notion that women's soccer is 'inferior' to men's. That's very similar in nature to the argument BruTexAvante uses to put down women's T&F: they are slower and weaker, so I'm bored. I find women's soccer, at the elite level, to be a smarter version of what the men play.

Comment

Let me join the ranks of those that enjoy the women game. I also enjoy women hockey . The same with basketball, but WNBA has no attraction for me whatsoever. College and international.

BTW, the US team looked quite good against N.Korea and especially Colombia.
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I'm following it, but if you don't think there isn't 'sexism' (defined broadly) in sports
                      Nonsense. It has nothing to do with sexism
                      You didn't like my pun (BROADly defined)? I was hoping it was obvious I did not mean the usual sexism; instead it is the notion that women's soccer is 'inferior' to men's. That's very similar in nature to the argument BruTexAvante uses to put down women's T&F: they are slower and weaker, so I'm bored. I find women's soccer, at the elite level, to be a smarter version of what the men play.
                      Actually no, I didn't realize you were trying to be funny. Isn't the use of "broad" in itself sexist? And, your analogy with Avante's opinion about women's track & field is nonsense too, as you well know. I have no argument against the women's game, admire it's players, and support it's progress.

However, as I said, this World Cup is not getting the same coverage as the men's World Cup because it's audience is very limited. My post was simply in response to your silly positioning of it as sexism at work.

But, if you really believe that elite women's football is a smarter version of the elite men's game, either: 1) you're a complete idiot; 2) you've confirmed my long held belief that you know very little about the game, despite your positioning yourself as an expert; 3) you're lying.

After reading your posts for years, I think 2) is the most likely

Comment

Part of the reason the people find the women's game less interesting is that they are socialized to think that way from a very early stage. It should be less interesting because it is slower, because it is less physical... so what? Who decided that a faster, more physical game is more interesting?

It is one thing to say" I find it less interesting" and entirely another to say "It is less interesting." I don't want anyone else to decide what is interesting to me, no matter how much expertise they might have.

Comment

2) you've confirmed my long held belief that you know very little about the game, despite your positioning yourself as an expert;
                          All right, ya got me! I only played 20 years, coached 32 years, been a fan for 45 years, took my HS boys team to top-10 state rankings 8 of the 10 years I coached them, selected Coach of the Year for my region 4 times. I'm sure your credentials are much more in order, since you're English!!! :twisted:
                          I'd like to call you a twit or a wanker, but I'm not quite sure if that sends the exact message I'm looking for!!!

Comment

socialized to think that way
                            I'm not buying it. Was I socialized--hardly--to like watching Jim Ryun run? Why do I not like basketball (current version)? Why do I like watching The Tour?
                            The point is I like what I like and don't care about someone else's aesthetics. Thousands of girls play soccer everyday. Very few of them want to attend pro soccer (m's or w's). They like playing it, not watching it.

Comment

2) you've confirmed my long held belief that you know very little about the game, despite your positioning yourself as an expert;
                              All right, ya got me! I only played 20 years, coached 32 years, been a fan for 45 years, took my HS boys team to top-10 state rankings 8 of the 10 years I coached them, selected Coach of the Year for my region 4 times. I'm sure your credentials are much more in order, since you're English!!! :twisted:
                              I'd like to call you a twit or a wanker, but I'm not quite sure if that sends the exact message I'm looking for!!!
                              Thank you for making my point!

I'd go with "wanker" if I was you. "Twit" is rather old-fashioned and weak. And to make wanker more effective I'd recommend adding "right" or "bloody" or "f*****g" to it

Comment

Working...
                              X