Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Tour de France

I don't know what to make of the Alberto Contador situation. This is the most pessimistic I've ever been at the start of a Tour de France.
    • 1) Was the Society of the Tour de France forced to allow him to ride or was it their decision?
      2) How was the Spanish Cycling Federation able to throw out a positive test result from the Tour de France, an international race that took place outside of Spain?
      3) With the number of willing cycling sponsors becoming fewer and fewer, can the sport survive if Contador loses his appeal and Lance Armstrong is eventually convicted in a U.S. federal courtroom?

Re: 2011 Tour de France

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    I don't know what to make of the Alberto Contador situation. This is the most pessimistic I've ever been at the start of a Tour de France.
    • 1) Was the Society of the Tour de France forced to allow him to ride or was it their decision?
      2) How was the Spanish Cycling Federation able to throw out a positive test result from the Tour de France, an international race that took place outside of Spain?
      3) With the number of willing cycling sponsors becoming fewer and fewer, can the sport survive if Contador loses his appeal and Lance Armstrong is eventually convicted in a U.S. federal courtroom?
    1) I think YES. Once a case goes to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, i think they are bound by any decision made there, or with a pending decision, they have to accept the current "best" decision which was that the test result was thrown out by the Spanish Federation.

2) I have no idea. Can you imagine if the US federation did that in this era? (I know about 1984)

3) I think it will survive, but the riders may have to accept markedly reduced salaries and winnings. Nobody will pay monster salaries for fear of bad publicity.

Comment

Maybe they should let Contador start with a deficit of 1:20; oh, I see that they did.

They (TdF) wanted it resolved before the race, but Contador's people put in a lot of material; I wonder if that was on purpose and I wonder what they would have done if the result being appealed would have kept him out of the race.

Today's time trial was interesting an pretty tightly bunched with five within 5 seconds at the top and others following reasonably quickly and the new yellow in doubt until you almost had to look at the fractions of a second, with BMC/Evans, who had a 3-second lead on most of the top riders, finishing 4 seconds back.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
        2) I have no idea. Can you imagine if the US federation did that in this era? (I know about 1984)

Considering the recent revelations about 2000, I'd say it's a pretty good bet it happened from '84 until USADA took over testing from Catlin after Sydney.
        There are no strings on me

Comment

One improvemment IMO, is what they've done with the green jersey competition. It's forced all the sprinters to come out and contest the intermediate sprint. In previous years, you would have never seen Mark Cavendish mix it up 60 miles from the finish line.

Comment

If only Versa would not insist on blocking those wonderful Chateau shots with Ads! And please Andy Shleck win one for my wife!

Comment

One improvemment IMO, is what they've done with the green jersey competition. It's forced all the sprinters to come out and contest the intermediate sprint. In previous years, you would have never seen Mark Cavendish mix it up 60 miles from the finish line.
              I also like the new rule.

Also the mountain points should mean more this year, since the foothills don't count much anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                I also like the new rule.

Also the mountain points should mean more this year, since the foothills don't count much anymore.
                Today was the first time I've ever seen Cavendish sprint all the way to the line when he knew he had no chance of winning. That's out of character for him. I was beginning to think that he was related to Asafa Powell.

Comment

Today, HTC-Highroad gave a clinic on how to use a lead-out train to win a bike race. For those who never seen it done, this video of the last 5K is straight from the text books.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbEcbCqMNjs

Comment

First real hilly stage tomorrow. No one horrendous climb, but constantly up and down. It should shake things up. Maybe we'll get a read on Andy Schleck's fitness.

Edit: Sunday's the stage I was thinking of. Click on "Profile of the stage":

http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/COURSE/us ... etape.html

Comment

Today, HTC-Highroad gave a clinic on how to use a lead-out train to win a bike race. For those who never seen it done, this video of the last 5K is straight from the text books.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbEcbCqMNjs
                      That really was something. The penultimate kilo was in 55 seconds, or like 41 mph.

Comment

Serious question: How does one team manage to get six members strung out leading the field? Why do the other teams allow it? Seems like somebody should be able to break it up. :?

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                          Serious question: How does one team manage to get six members strung out leading the field? Why do the other teams allow it? Seems like somebody should be able to break it up. :?
                          Other teams were trying but they didn't have the horsepower. Overtaking a 40 m.p.h train is a lot easier said than done. As soon as you swing out from behind the other riders, you feel like you're riding into a hurricane. Unlike most of the other teams, HTC-Highroad doesn't have a bunch of 55-60 kg climbers on the team whose duty is to look out for a GC contender in the mountains, but can't put out much horsepower on the flat roads. Everybody on their team is a diesel engine who can ride at 40+ m.p.h. for 500-1000 meters after a long day of four to six hours of racing. However, if you have the horsepower, you can disrupt these trains. At the 4:15 mark in this video, HTC-Highroad shows how that is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpmnx7l_Ib0

Comment

thanks, jazz, I noticed that... wondered why it did not happen sooner..
                            I have never cycled 40mph but can imagine the effort without drafting.

Comment

Can somebody better versed in the Tour's stratagem explain to me why Thor gave let Voelker get so much time on him? I understand he knew he was going to lose Yellow but why deliberately give him more minutes? He was ambling that last 5k. Was he just not going to do well in the alps?

Comment

Working...
                              X