Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Tour de France

Cadel Evans will be riding in the USA Pro Cycling Challenge in Colorado Aug 22-28. Apparently Versus said that the Schlecks will also ride, but the race organizers have not confirmed that yet. Team rosters for the event are to be announced next week.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/cycling/sto ... orado-race

Stage 1 is a five mile prologue here in Colorado Springs. Stage 3 has two climbs over 12,000' passes, with about 8200' total climbing (stage 18 of Le Tour had about 16,000' of climbing!)

http://www.usaprocyclingchallenge.com/

Comment

Too bad they aren't using the Coors Classic Morgul-Bismark near Boulder, the site of my cameo in American Flyer. A lot of fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
        Jazz (and others):

Does Cav stay with THC-Columbia (into whatever it becomes, if it does so real soon), in order to stay with Renshaw and Eisel or does he switch to (most likely) Sky?
        I think I heard Phil Liggett sat that Bob Stapleton is shopping Cavendish and his lead-out train as a package deal to Sky and other teams. By the way, here are some highlights from Robert Millar's excellent post-Tour analysis:

Uphill? No problem, the Schlecks do that as good as anyone, only Contador is better. Coming down the other side, however, it doesn't look comfortable. As a weakness, descending is probably their most obvious one, particularly in the wet and other riders are always going to exploit that. . . . .

in the Pyrenees when they ought to have been attacking relentlessly to distance their rivals, they either couldn't or wouldn't, in case Contador countered them. What with the constant looking around to see what the other brother was up to, they seemed more frightened of what the Spaniard might do rather than just getting on with trying to win the race.

The moments where we saw them riding next to Contador and giving him the evils were never going to be anything other than a complete waste of time. The guy has won three Tours, a Giro and a Vuelta, he's not going to be scared by playground antics. When they did commit themselves, it was too little and too late in the stages so the gain wasn't great. . . . .

As an aside, quite what the yellow jersey wearer thought he was doing in no-man’s land was beyond me, his DS needed to either tell him to wait for his teammates in the chasing group behind or talk to the Saxo Bank guys about getting Contador to knock off the pace and let him get up to the front. If that had happened and they all rode in the front until the base of the last climb then there might have been a panic at BMC. As it was, Voeckler lost his podium place by continuing to chase on his own for too long.
        http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert ... k-brothers

Comment

HTC-Highroad disbands after failed sponsor search.

Stapleton pointed to the sport's doping problems as another hurdle for all teams, not just Stapleton's. The still-unresolved doping case of Alberto Contador from the 2010 Tour de France and the federal investigation into doping at the US Postal Service team, both of which have been heavily reported in the media, have hampered new sponsor negotations for Stapleton.

"All I can tell you is that I don't think there has been a single discussion with a potential sponsor where one or the other wasn't talked about. It's been a factor in everyone's view of cycling in the last year."
          http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/htc-hig ... sor-search

When the world's #1 team can't find a sponsor after having just won six stages at the Tour de France, I think it's fair to say that the dopers have killed the goose that was laying the golden eggs.

Comment

It was a pretty good story on the situation. Jazz beat me to this; I was going to post it myself.

:?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist

I think it's fair to say that the dopers have killed the goose that was laying the golden eggs.

Hard to say. Without Armstrong winning several Tours, the sport's profile would have remained low here in the US, and a multi-million dollar team like HTC probably doesn't form in the first place.
              There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru

I think it's fair to say that the dopers have killed the goose that was laying the golden eggs.

Hard to say. Without Armstrong winning several Tours, the sport's profile would have remained low here in the US, and a multi-million dollar team like HTC probably doesn't form in the first place.
                This theory assumes that Lance couldn't have won seven Tours in a row if the entire peleton had been clean. Before steroids and other PED's took over MLB, Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens were the best hitter and pitcher of their generation respectively. During the steroid era, they were still the best of their generation, just more powerful. Ten years ago, the top climbers took 38 minutes to ascend Alpe D'Huez. This year, Pierre Roland won Alpe D'Huez with a 42-minute ascent. Surely a clean Armstrong would have been able to match that effort in his prime.

It would seem that the natural superstars of any sport are the ones with the greatest incentive to eliminate PED's since that's the only way that their true talent can shine out without having to resort to PED use themselves. I've often wondered why the FBI doesn't recruit active athletes to be informants. Surely there are some clean athletes out there, who compete in sports where teams have hard salary caps or race/meet directors have tight budgets, and who are incensed when they see dirty athletes raking in cash that could have gone to them.

Comment

Stapleton pointed to the sport's doping problems as another hurdle for all teams, not just Stapleton's. The still-unresolved doping case of Alberto Contador from the 2010 Tour de France and the federal investigation into doping at the US Postal Service team, both of which have been heavily reported in the media, have hampered new sponsor negotations for Stapleton.

"All I can tell you is that I don't think there has been a single discussion with a potential sponsor where one or the other wasn't talked about. It's been a factor in everyone's view of cycling in the last year."
                  http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/htc-hig ... sor-search

When the world's #1 team can't find a sponsor after having just won six stages at the Tour de France, I think it's fair to say that the dopers have killed the goose that was laying the golden eggs.
                  So Cav goes to Sky?

Drugs are certainly part of it, but it also doesn't help that the economy, here and especially Europe, is sucking at the moment and likely to get worse.

Comment

Working...
                  X