X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: free-speech weekend has ended

Originally posted by gh
    my answer might get me banned :mrgreen:
    Oh come on - it doesn't hurt that much - g'head!

Comment

Over the years, I've observed that people have a greater tendency to get emotional about debates when they're confronted with facts contradictory to their position and are having a hard time supporting their position with facts and logic of their own. At this point, they'll either become more and more dogmatic or they will personalize the debate, making it about the messager and not the message, as one poster did with me a few days ago.

There's an LSU sports message board that I post on occasionally on which 90% of the posters are to the right of lonewolf, and whenever a idea is presented that is contrary to Conservative Christian orthodoxy that can't be discredited with facts and logic, you can bet that names and insults will be hurled around. On the other hand, whenever an easily debunked liberal idea is presented, the insults are a lot less frequent since facts and logic are so readily available.

I'm to the point that I hardly ever get emotional about any idea no matter how abhorent the idea is. I've heard people say some of the most insidious things about Black folks, and all I ever do is hit them with facts. One thing that i like about the internet is that facts and history are so readily available. On the other hand, since other folks can also use the internet to present history and facts that I may have been unaware of, I'm also much more open to changing or calibrating my opinions than I used to be and I think that's also a reason why political debates don't bother me as much as they use to.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
        One thing that i like about the internet is that facts and history are so readily available.
        Although many sites do not present all the 'facts' and can be quite misleading.

Comment

I've heard people say some of the most insidious things about Black folks
          All racists do that regardless of their target group (ethnic, religious...). As so many of those claims contain a tiny kernel of truth, they are next to impossible to even debate properly.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
            One thing that i like about the internet is that facts and history are so readily available.
            Although many sites do not present all the 'facts' and can be quite misleading.
            As has been pointed out here before, you can find 'proof' for almost any side of any debate on-line. The problem is discerning half-truths from facts and logical-sounding speculation from solid reasoning.

In today's paper I read about the rise of an Earth-centric universe belief by a growing number of fundamentalist Christians. No amount of facts is going to dissuade them otherwise.

Flat-earthers unite!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              I read about the rise of an Earth-centric universe belief by a growing number of fundamentalist Christians.
              That's news to me. A recent phenomena?

Comment

Working...
              X