Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so, what is the largest country in Africa?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so, what is the largest country in Africa?

With the creation of Republic of South Sudan, from the map it looks as if Sudan lost enough territory to go alphabetic for size, i.e., Algeria seems to be the new title holder.

Re: so, what is the largest country in Africa?

Looks like Algeria edges out Zaire by a few hectares.

Comment

That's what I got, but did Congo go back to Zaire?

Comment

There is no Zaire. It is called Democratic Republic of the Congo. Sometimes you will hear it as Congo-Kinshasa.
        As of today (July 9), the five largest countries in Africa by area: 1. Algeria, 2. Democratic Republic of the Congo, 3. Libya, 4. Sudan (North), and 5. Chad.

Comment

Today's fun fact for our new African giant, Algeria: only 3% of the land is arable (farmable). :shock: The rest is deserts and mountains.

Comment

Kinda like San Diego or Imperial County

Comment

Originally posted by mike renfro
              Kinda like San Diego or Imperial County
              Yeah, but I bet their newspaper runs meet sums :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by mike renfro
                With the creation of Republic of South Sudan, from the map it looks as if Sudan lost enough territory to go alphabetic for size, i.e., Algeria seems to be the new title holder.
                For me, the question I'm trying to find the answer to is:

Given that the IAAF is usually pretty quick to recognize new nations, which Sudanese republic will Abubaker Kaki be running for?

If he makes his home in Khartoum then I presume that his flag will not change. I'm having trouble spotting his birthplace (Elmuglad) on a map, but I understand that the Messiria tribe (of which he is a member) is from Central Sudan.

Comment

[quote=wamego relays champ]
                  Originally posted by "mike renfro":w7l4wbn0
                  For me, the question I'm trying to find the answer to is:

Given that the IAAF is usually pretty quick to recognize new nations, which Sudanese republic will Abubaker Kaki be running for?

If he makes his home in Khartoum then I presume that his flag will not change. I'm having trouble spotting his birthplace (Elmuglad) on a map, but I understand that the Messiria tribe (of which he is a member) is from Central Sudan.

.[/quote:w7l4wbn0]

Wamego,

Try this -- Muglad, or Al Muglad. (I think "Elmuglad" is a slightly altered/crunched version of either of these.)
                  (But, to your question, not sure where this fits in w the new boundaries.)

Comment

I found El Muglad on Google maps. It appears clearly north of the new border. Based on the name Abubaker, he is a Muslim, so I expect of him to remain with Sudan.
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                      Today's fun fact for our new African giant, Algeria: only 3% of the land is arable (farmable). :shock: The rest is deserts and mountains.
                      I'm also intrigued by Kazakhstan. 9th largest country (larger than western Europe) with only 16.4 million people. 6 people per sq km. And land locked. And yet Russia is still largest in spite of losing Kazakhstan.

Comment

Working...
                      X