Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tom Swift trivia

Originally posted by kuha
    I will say that visitors marvel (or is it an expression of speechless pity?) at my complete set of jacketed copies.
    How many books is that?
    I get a similar reaction to my complete (1916-2011) set of National Geographics. Pre-1957 issues inherited from late mother-in-law whose husband, a Spanish American War veteran, bought his much younger bride a lifetime subscription to NG for $50. She lived until 1999.
    83 years of NG for $50! Such a deal. Of course, $50 was a lot more money in 1916.
    I knew a now deceased track official who had, he said, a paperback copy of every Zane Gray novel ever written.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
      How many books is that?
      A total of 40 books, published from 1910 to 1941. (The original series ran to 1935; 2 "Big Little Book" titles were published after that.)

Comment

Frank Merriwell anyone? :wink:

Comment

The only series of books I read growing up were those of a certain Bond, James Bond. Later I got hooked on Holmes, Sherlock Holmes, but that's about it.

Comment

I guess I'm a few years older than you are. I grew up on the Hardy Boys. Bond was my #2 series. Never did get much into Holmes, but at different times of my life I read all of the works of Eric Ambler, and then all of Ludlum. Haven't read the post-Fleming Bonds or the post-Ludlum Bournes.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
              Frank Merriwell anyone? :wink:
              Hey, I can finally add something to this thread...I have a copy of Frank Merriwell, Jr.'s Cross-Country Run. It's #238 in the "Merriwell Series," all written by Burt L. Standish. This one published in 1914. My copy is actually really beat up, but I acquired and kept it for the cover picture, which shows the title character in good hurdling form, racing across some Western landscape, running away from his pursuers.

And even though I know nothing about Tom Swift, I respect the book collecting passions expressed here. Book collecting, like track & field, is an honorable and obscure obsession.

Comment

I have quite a few books for an amateur/civilian. I collect a few authors such as Michner, Ludlum, O'Hara, Wallace, Archer, Forsyth,Shaw, Wiedman, Haley, Wolfe, Updike, Clavell, LeCarre, Grisson, Clancy... plus National Geographics, Readers Digest Condensed Books, Travel, Olympic stuff, Geology and oil bizz related stuff and hundreds (thousands?) of odds and ends that I pick up at the annual Friends of Library spring sale.. maybe 400 feet of shelf (some double stacked) overflow in boxes...which leads my kids to pester me to " get rid of some of these damn books"
                I do not consider myself a "hoarder", they do not intrude into my living space, I have actually read most of them and intend to read the rest just as soon as I get time..I do cull before the spring sale and return/donate many that I bought in bulk the previous year that I know I will never read..
                So, why should I get rid of these damn books?

Aside from that it is a real chore to box and move all these damn books when I re-carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                  And, for dukehjsteve:

What is the jeweler's name at the beginning of "TS Among the Diamond Makers"?
                  I don't want you to forget about this:

The answer..........: "Mr. Track." !

Comment

Working...
                  X