Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You really shouldn't ride too much bicycle?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You really shouldn't ride too much bicycle?

Found an old article on NY Times about some researches on ED and prolonged cycling, http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/04/healt ... gewanted=2

Dr. Goldstein said he often saw patients who were stunned to learn that riding a bicycle led to their impotence. One middle-aged man rode in a special cycling event to honor a friend and has been impotent since. A 28-year-old who came in for testing, Dr Goldstein said, showed the penile blood flow of a 60-year-old. A college student who had competed in rough cycling sports was unable to achieve an erection until microvascular surgery restored penile blood flow.
    Any thoughts?

Re: You really shouldn't ride too much bicycle?

There was a very recent (June, July?) articles in the NYT, I think. I think that they tend to over-do these stories a bit. I think that it is also a function of duration and exertion level, with pro riders affected much more than those riding 50km/day, much less those in the saddle for a mere 40km/week.

There are all sorts of saddle designs that have been spurred by this; the main type is where a section is cut out of the middle of the saddle. More recently, saddles with most of the nose missing have been touted.

I no longer ride several hundred miles per week, neither do I race any more, but I have not really detected a problem personally.

Comment

The saddles on both my road bike and my stationary bike are of the middle-section-cut-out type.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
        The saddles on both my road bike and my stationary bike are of the middle-section-cut-out type.
        How about the noseless type? They said it's the best but I doubt if it'd be safe enough while pedalling with high velocity.

Comment

Working...
        X