Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Soccer fires Bob Bradley

Great. Now what? This doesn't make up for the fact that the greatest nation in the history of the world, the richest nation in the world, the most powerful nation in the world, cannot put 11 world class footballers on the pitch.

So what football genius would be better than Bradley? Nobody, but why not get Steve Sampson to coach the team again? Who else? Or better yet, Tab Ramos.

Re: US Soccer fires Bob Bradley

Originally posted by BillVol
    Great. Now what? This doesn't make up for the fact that the greatest nation in the history of the world, the richest nation in the world, the most powerful nation in the world, cannot put 11 world class footballers on the pitch.

So what football genius would be better than Bradley? Nobody, but why not get Steve Sampson to coach the team again? Who else? Or better yet, Tab Ramos.
    Are you kidding?
    You can't buy yourself a football culture and a superior league system.

See what Paraguay, Uruguay and especially Holland can do.

Who else? The woods are full of them. Start with Guus Hiddink.

Comment

I know that, Per. That is my point: Bob Bradley is as good as anybody since we are not a footballing nation and NEVER will be. Who is going to be better? NOBODY. Not Bruce Arena, not Bora, not even Bill Jeffrey. You have to have the talent first, and we ain't ever going to have it. Not any better than we have it now.

Comment

Local scuttlebutt is Akron men's coach Caleb Porter, who led the Zips to last year's NCAA championship, as well as a runner-up finish in 2009, was approached about the position but declined.
        There are no strings on me

Comment

I am speechless. Bradley has been the best coach, US national team has had (at least in the past half century).
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
            I am speechless. Bradley has been the best coach, US national team has had (at least in the past half century).
            I'm with you. I can only guess it has to do with behind the scene politics.

Comment

There was a tiny little blurb in this morning's fish-wrapper - no details. It can NOT be because we lost the Gold Cup!! He may not be the best coach, but he was very very good. It really does take an American to understand what AMERICAN soccer is all about. You cannot take a Euro or SoAm model and expect it to work her because our mentality is sooo different. And, as BillV says, we do have the talent, but we do not have the 'culture' to be a consistent world power.

Comment

Ah so - Jurgen Klinsmann is the new coach. We have been coveting him since before Bradley. He DOES understand USA soccer. This may work out well . . . or not . . . who knows. A new era begins.

Comment

The problem with American Soccer is that it is basically a Suburban middle to upper-middle class activity, where players from the time they start are always supervised. I have never seen kids play, like we did with sports in the 60's, on their own.

"The American system turns out athletes — players who run, jump and put every ounce of physical effort into a game — but it does not turn out players who think, improvise and can conjure magic because soccer is in their blood.

It's a cultural thing, and Bradley cannot be blamed for that...

The answer — for whoever is named as his successor — is to explore new territory. Go beyond MLS and the U.S. players overseas. Go into the barrios. Look for kids playing in unregistered leagues. Do some real scouting at the grass-roots level. Accept that the price of long-term success might be short-term failure."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/news ... 7846.story

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                    I agree, it is pretty dumb. And why now? If the fault was losing to Ghana last year, why not then?

PS. I guess Klinsmann being available and willing answers that question.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                      The problem with American Soccer is that it is basically a Suburban middle to upper-middle class activity, where players from the time they start are always supervised. I have never seen kids play, like we did with sports in the 60's, on their own.

"The American system turns out athletes — players who run, jump and put every ounce of physical effort into a game — but it does not turn out players who think, improvise and can conjure magic because soccer is in their blood.

It's a cultural thing, and Bradley cannot be blamed for that...

The answer — for whoever is named as his successor — is to explore new territory. Go beyond MLS and the U.S. players overseas. Go into the barrios. Look for kids playing in unregistered leagues. Do some real scouting at the grass-roots level. Accept that the price of long-term success might be short-term failure."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/news ... 7846.story
                      Last year Klinsmann said basically the same thing during coverage of the World Cup.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07O6qsZT7lc

Comment

whoever is named as his successor
                        ??!!

Comment

Klinsmann will be no better or no worse than any of the other guys IMO. But I'm happy for him. He is a wanna-be American. Loves the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                            whoever is named as his successor
                            ??!!
                            This was written before K was selected. So there!

Comment

The biggest problem is participation numbers, not philosophy. The kids who do play get a pretty decent training in the game. Maybe it is not ideal but in no country is it ideal, including Brazil or whoever you want to mention. Of course it is regrettable that the game has socio-economic connotations, but frankly even with those limitations we should be able to field plenty of talent. In terms of sports culture we have plenty working in our favor. We just need to get more people in the sport. And I think we will, I completely disagree with people who say "America will never be good at soccer" etc, because the game is obviously taking off in popularity among the young people. I realize if you aren't looking you won't see it but it really is plain as day in many areas of the country.

Comment

Working...
                              X