Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cal State Tuition Hike...and School President Salary Hike?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal State Tuition Hike...and School President Salary Hike?

I'm not an expert on CA's university system, but this causes me to scratch my head.

...in response to the continuing public outcry over the decision by the Cal State Board of Trustees this month to approve an annual salary of $400,000 for Elliot Hirshman, the new president of San Diego State, at the same time the school increased annual student tuition by 12%. Hirshman's salary — $350,000 from the state, with an annual supplement of $50,000 from the campus foundation — is $100,000 more than his predecessor's.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 5738.story

Re: Cal State Tuition Hike...and School President Salary Hik

I'm a hardcore capitalist, but the way the CEOs of American have fostered a climate of "we gotta pay more or we lose the top talent" is such self-serving bullshit I wanna retch. Particularly in a climate where business is failing left and right and these pricks keep writing themselves performances bonuses that somehow ignore their abject failures.

Or, to be fair, the fact that the economy is tanking, and they seem oblivious to it. If we're eating shit sandwiches, they should be given a full plate thereof.

ps--I've always loved the rationale that, during a collapsing economy that "we need to retain the talent." Well, hey, if everybody else is in the shitter as well, just where are all these bidders coming from who will "steal" your big dude?

Totally a culture where circular logic rules, and the guys (and I mean that in a unisex definition) who wear the suits continue to enrich themselves while pissing all over the rest of us.

pps--excuse the frequent use of bodily-function metaphors. Somehow seems appropriate when shitheads continue to piss all over us. Or something like that.

Comment

What gh said. :x

Comment

You'd think they (the Board of Trustees) would at least be smart enough to HIDE half that in perqs (free house, car, meals and medical coverage is worth a LOT!), so it doesn't LOOK as bad. :roll:

Comment

the oft-unrecognized downside of all this nonesense is that Joe Sixpak conflates administrator compensation with that of those in the trenches. You know, the people who are actually teaching.

Of course, these are all MBA assholes (is that redundant?--sorry, my take on life is much harsher when I'm vacationing) who have no idea what it is like to try to impart some knowledge to the nation's youth. (disclaimer: I have no idea either, but I think I can make a pretty good guess)

Comment

data for ASSISTANT NCAA football coaches salaries in 2010":

1. = $907,000
            2. = $762,350
            3. = $760,600
            4. = $706, 650
            5. = $700,000

10. = $500,000

20. = $432,660

50. = $335,000

75. = $305,450

100. = $275,000

per USA Today

list goes to 888

cost of college 'education' continues to rise

These are ASSISTANT coaches i.e., quarterback coaches, defensive linemen coordinators, offensive coordinators, etc.

I think many/most col/uni highest paid employees are basketball and/or football coaches

Win loss records don't seem to factor in.

Most D1 football coaches are make around $1,000,000 give/take. Lou Saban reportedly at $5.997,349

Tressel was at $3,888,389

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by no one
              Lou Saban reportedly at $5.997,349
              Pretty damn impressive for a dead guy :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                I'm a hardcore capitalist, but the way the CEOs of American have fostered a climate of "we gotta pay more or we lose the top talent" is such self-serving bullshit I wanna retch.
                100% amen to that

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                  Originally posted by gh
                  I'm a hardcore capitalist, but the way the CEOs of American have fostered a climate of "we gotta pay more or we lose the top talent" is such self-serving bullshit I wanna retch.
                  100% amen to that
                  A rare agreement across the political spectrum .
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                    And lonewolf and gm and pego.

Comment

sorry - Nick. Those guys were so close I always got em mixed up

Lou's prob making more

Comment

I have spent my adult life (such as it's turned out to be, alas :roll: ), working in the higher education world, at four different institutions (2 public, 2 private; 2 D-I, 1 D-III, 1 D-nothing -- ie, it isn't in the USA), and one state organization that worked with higher education issues and institutions. Not that it matters to anyone, perhaps including me, but I am far more outraged by some sports coaches salaries/compensation, especially at public universities, than I ever will be at college/university Presidents' salaries/compensation. Thinking of Tressel making nearly $4 million/year -- part of my tax dollars (as an Ohio resident) at work, really is galling. So he gets fired, or resigns, I guess. I wish he could be prosecuted, as a public official, for some sort of malpractice or misuse of public funds, or something.

As for college/university Presidents/Chancellors' salaries, I have gotten just close enough (but still at a rather great distance) to the kinds of demands these roles have, and to see the way in which a great President/Chancellor can really elevate an entire institution, and also to see the way in which a bad one can do lasting harm to an institution. I don't know the particulars of the Cal State example that started this thread, but the compensation reported above doesn't seem outrageous, in general, to me, given what Presidents are expected to accomplish. (Though I take Marlow's point -- any savvy institution will obscure much of the compensation in other stuff, knowing that someone will take it as a point of outrage, even while we don't do so with sports coaches.)

And, I also get -- and agree with -- gh's outrage at corporate ceo compensations, etc. However, even with that agreement in mind, I note that -- according to the stats posted above -- many DI assistant football coaches make much more than many college/university presidents. This is a good data set for reflection on the values of the culture that is my home...

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                          Given this hug-fest of unlikely bedfellows you have to wonder how the CEO's have managed to get away with it for so long.

One thing I always note is that when the corruption charges start to fly the CEO's, miraculously, suddenly have no idea what is going on in their own companies. This, despite their earlier claims of being indispensable.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po
                            As for college/university Presidents/Chancellors' salaries, I have gotten just close enough (but still at a rather great distance) to the kinds of demands these roles have, and to see the way in which a great President/Chancellor can really elevate an entire institution, and also to see the way in which a bad one can do lasting harm to an institution. I don't know the particulars of the Cal State example that started this thread, but the compensation reported above doesn't seem outrageous, in general, to me, given what Presidents are expected to accomplish.
                            MP -- I can see NCAA coaches making the same argument for their salaries...simply replace the words "President/Chancellor" with "Coaches" in your statement.

Most of those same coaches would likely argue that revenue generating "Buckeye" t-shirts, jerseys, sweat shirts, water bottles, baby bibs, blankets, coolers, cup holders, baseball caps, license plat holders, key chains, posters, etc. (sold all over the country) are the result of their actions leading a sports team, and not the Chancellor's. I don't agree with their salary, I'm merely imagining how they likely see the value of their compensation.

I don't begrudge anyone for making a good living. However, If balancing the books required tuition increases for students, and salary decreases of instructors by way of furloughs, they shouldn't have increased the salary of the President's position by 25%. It's truly a slap in the face to those individuals who are already struggling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/us/26california.html
                            "Members of the union, the California Faculty Association, voted for the furloughs, which amount to a 10 percent pay cut, over the coming academic year. The move was approved by 54 percent of 8,800 union members."

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                              Originally posted by bad hammy
                              Given this hug-fest of unlikely bedfellows you have to wonder how the CEO's have managed to get away with it for so long.
                              I believe the pricipal mechanism is they sit on cross-pollinating boards of directors and approve outrageous employment contracts for each other. :x

Comment

Working...
                              X