Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cal State Tuition Hike...and School President Salary Hike?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cal State Tuition Hike...and School President Salary Hik

Originally posted by TrakFan
    I can see NCAA coaches making the same argument for their salaries...simply replace the words "President/Chancellor" with "Coaches" in your statement.
    The difference is that for the large schools, coaching salaries are largely paid for by donations not by the universities. For example, at Texas, Mack Brown's salary from the university is like $180,000. The other 3M+ is picked up by donors.

Comment

Re: Cal State Tuition Hike...and School President Salary Hik

Originally posted by TrakFan
      Originally posted by Master Po
      As for college/university Presidents/Chancellors' salaries, I have gotten just close enough (but still at a rather great distance) to the kinds of demands these roles have, and to see the way in which a great President/Chancellor can really elevate an entire institution, and also to see the way in which a bad one can do lasting harm to an institution. I don't know the particulars of the Cal State example that started this thread, but the compensation reported above doesn't seem outrageous, in general, to me, given what Presidents are expected to accomplish.
      MP -- I can see NCAA coaches making the same argument for their salaries...simply replace the words "President/Chancellor" with "Coaches" in your statement.

Most of those same coaches would likely argue that revenue generating "Buckeye" t-shirts, jerseys, sweat shirts, water bottles, baby bibs, blankets, coolers, cup holders, baseball caps, license plat holders, key chains, posters, etc. (sold all over the country) are the result of their actions leading a sports team, and not the Chancellor's. I don't agree with their salary, I'm merely imagining how they likely see the value of their compensation.

I don't begrudge anyone for making a good living. However, If balancing the books required tuition increases for students, and salary decreases of instructors by way of furloughs, they shouldn't have increased the salary of the President's position by 25%. It's truly a slap in the face to those individuals who are already struggling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/us/26california.html
      "Members of the union, the California Faculty Association, voted for the furloughs, which amount to a 10 percent pay cut, over the coming academic year. The move was approved by 54 percent of 8,800 union members."

Trakfan -- Appreciate your point. I thought about that when I wrote that post. I know it's a legit counterargument to (what passes for) my argument. And I do think at least some big time athletics coaches probably should earn big money. Their jobs are high profile, high pressure, and -- as if everything else weren't enough -- their success depends on what a bunch of 18-24 yo men or women do on a sports field (and on what they do off the field...yikes). I would need to be paid a lot to live with wrangling a bunch of athletes in that age group. Still, it seems wrong to me to see the salaries paid to assistants, to see, year after year, and the way in which high profile coaches operate outside of any real accountability for their actions -- I don't consider them losing their jobs as much accountability, given that most of them just end up in some other similar job. And, it does not assuage my frustration to know that many of such coaches are paid by private funds. I think that's part of the problem. I get that the higher education and sports system is messed up, through and through. But, to go back to my main point, I think many college presidents earn their (admittedly high) pay. And, on the third hand, I get the particularly bad circumstances of the Cal State system right now, and the, um, irony, of that pay increase (even though I continue to think it's not an outrageous salary for a college President; I do think it's a bad time to be offering such a raise.)

Comment

Working...
      X