Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Occupy Eugene Protesters

If these people were not camped on some public lawn, they'd be sleeping on some friend's couch.

Comment

Originally posted by decafan
      Give me a break. Anyone who claims a dead person would be with their cause if they were still alive is NOT to be trusted. Steve Prefontaine was the first Nike Athlete. To say he wouldn't want Nike sponsoring the Pre-Classic is pretty naive. But then again, how would anyone know? They even went so far as to say Bowerman would be pleased with Occupy Eugene. How in God's name would anyone know where Bowerman would come down on this issue? I found the Occupy Eugene folks interviewed for this story to be very offensive. If you feel the need to recruit dead people to your cause, you probably don't have a strong position. IMO.
      Bowerman was a major in the mountain infantry of the U.S. Army. Somehow, I doubt he would have had much sympathy for the OWS or Occupy Eugene crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
        Also, if you so envious of hedge fund managers, get off your ass and become one!
        Talk about completely missing the point...

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
          Bowerman was a major in the mountain infantry of the U.S. Army. Somehow, I doubt he would have had much sympathy for the OWS or Occupy Eugene crowd.
          Not sure I see the connection.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
            That is because there is none.

This thread is taking a rather stupid direction.

Comment

I agree that there's no necessary connection between military service and one's political persuasion, but anyone who has read the excellent "Bowerman and the Men of Oregon" would probably come away with the thought that Bowerman was a pretty conservative guy. Oh, and he would have had a ton of money as well from his Nike investments, so it seems more likely that the protestors would have been outside Bowerman's house waving nasty placards and perhaps as likely that he would have run 'em off, just like he ran the Rajneeshees out of his backyard in Eastern Oregon. While I agree in spirit with the protestors, you've got too many news folks thrusting mics into the faces of some of the less knowledgeable protestors and then choosing the best sound bites for the 6 o'clock news. Meanwhile, the protestors are trying to figure out where to go next, having decided that their current location in a large city park away from downtown isn't generating much traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                That is because there is none.

This thread is taking a rather stupid direction.
                We might say EXTREMELY stupid...beginning with the quaint notion that today's Wall Street is beyond critique.

Comment

Originally posted by bruce3404
                  I agree that there's no necessary connection between military service and one's political persuasion
                  Delete the word 'necessary'.

Comment

I did not mean to imply that everyone with a military background is "conservative" although some polls suggest that a majority are. I meant to suggest that most people with a military background (especially an officer) place a high value on organization and discipline which the Occupy folks seem to lack no matter what their politics may be.

Comment

I did not mean to imply that everyone with a military background is "conservative" although some polls suggest that a majority are. I meant to suggest that most people with a military background (especially an officer) place a high value on organization and discipline which the Occupy folks seem to lack no matter what their politics may be.
                      http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/28/us/ve ... amp;st=car

Comment

Working...
                      X