• Show
Clear All

• Avante
    replied
    Re: Track & Field News

Originally posted by Pego
    Originally posted by Avante
    That got me into my fantasy whatevers.
    Why don't you join our fantasy leagues (DL, WC, OG)? It's a shitload of fun, camaraderie is great, you rejoice sometimes, cry at other times... 8-) .
    Maybe I will, thanks for the invite

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

That got me into my fantasy whatevers.
    Why don't you join our fantasy leagues (DL, WC, OG)? It's a shitload of fun, camaraderie is great, you rejoice sometimes, cry at other times... 8-) .

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    I've posted this before but here goes again...

I first saw Track & Field News while a freshman in high school, as our cross country ( and track) coach had a subscription for the school. The issues I saw on his desk were for September and August of 1957. I "borrowed" those 2 issues to read at home, and promptly started a subscription myself... I believe for $3 a year. And now it's 2011, 54 years later.

And oh yes, those 2 "borrowed" issues still reside with me ! Gee, I just never got around to returning them....
    In 1957 a buck would...

10 cent comic
    15 cent coke
    15 cent bag of chips
    a bag full of penny candy

What happened
    Price index 2011 (1983 base) 224.55
    Price index 1957 (1983 base) 28.10

Ratio = 8.0, or 8 dollars in 2011 to buy an average similar thing 1957. Of course, some goods have gone up relatively more than that while others (e.g., a calculating machine of similar quality) has gone down (by several orders of magnitude when it comes to electronics, but it is hard to fully incorporate quality changes etc).

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied

A different person.

Leave a comment:

• Avante
    replied

Originally posted by Marlow
    There's a magazine too?! :shock: How quaintly retro. I should look into that.
    How can anyone be a track fan and not subscribe to T&FN? How else can we know about...

Francis Baldwin...9.2...Dallas Baptist
    What did Jeremiah Wheeler look like?
    What were the splits when Canada won that 96 Oly 4x1?
    What school once had three 26 foot long jumpers there for a season?
    Who was Carter Suggs?...if you live in California?
    Who ran a 43.1 4x4 split at an NCAA Championships?

Without the mag you'd be....???

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

There's a magazine too?! :shock: How quaintly retro. I should look into that.

Leave a comment:

• Avante
    replied

Originally posted by dukehjsteve

I first saw Track & Field News while a freshman in high school, as our cross country ( and track) coach had a subscription for the school. The issues I saw on his desk were for September and August of 1957. I "borrowed" those 2 issues to read at home, and promptly started a subscription myself... I believe for $3 a year. And now it's 2011, 54 years later.

And oh yes, those 2 "borrowed" issues still reside with me ! Gee, I just never got around to returning them....
    In 1957 a buck would...

10 cent comic
    15 cent coke
    15 cent bag of chips
    a bag full of penny candy

What happened

Leave a comment:

• Avante
    replied

Originally posted by Daisy
    Originally posted by KevinM
    What, no list of all current and former staffers, divided by college or country/state/province of HS attendance?
    I would have thought he would have compiled the TFN staffers fantasy 4x100 and 4X400. I think Avante's losing his touch
    T&FN once ran their "fantasy" 100m to determine the fastest sprinter ever. It was won by Bob Hayes. That got me into my fantasy whatevers. As we know ESPN would have a fantasy tournament to see what NFL team was the best. Rocky Marciano vs Muhammad Ali! I have fun with it and it does set me apart. We can all talk movies, music, current track season, not too many can.....

All Time SWAC 100m

lane

1.Robert Taylor..TSU-Oly silver
    2.Stone Johnson...Grambling-WR 200
    3.Oliver Ford..So U-WR 100m
    4.Willie McGee..Alcorn-WR 9.1
    5.George Anderson...Southern U-Number one ranked in 1965
    6.Jimmy Hines..TSU-Oly gold 9.95 WR
    7.Richard Stebbins..Grambling-Oly 4x1
    8.Henry Neal...TSU

"B"

lane

1.Robert Woods..Grambling
    2.Lewis Turner..PV
    3.Willie Polk...TSU
    4.Jack Phillips..Grambling
    5.Morris Jackson..Jackson St
    6.Augustine Olobia...TSU
    7.Theo Bush...TSU
    8.Jerry Sims...Alcorn

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

What, no list of all current and former staffers, divided by college or country/state/province of HS attendance?
    I would have thought he would have compiled the TFN staffers fantasy 4x100 and 4X400. I think Avante's losing his touch

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Avante
    replied

Originally posted by lonewolf
    Wait. You can remember those? :shock:
    I was blessed with a great memory. If the interest is there it's pretty much locked away for good. What I find weird is why can't I remember that second leg on that Texas Southern team? Strange.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied

Wait. You can remember those? :shock:

Leave a comment:

• Avante
    replied

I'm were aware of listism and it's hold on people. Once afflicted with it it's hard to shake. Forget trying to cold turkey it. Since you need a fix, here ya go

The first 4x1's I can remember.

Southern U..Harvey Nairn..Webster Johnson..Grundy Harris..George Anderson
    USC..Earl McCullouch..Fred Kuller..O.J.Simpson..Lennox Miller
    Florida A&M...Alfred Austin..Al Denson..Bob Paremore..Bob Hayes
    New Mexico..Steve Camidini..Art Carter..Rene Matison..Bernie Rivers
    USA..Paul Drayton..Gerry Ashworth..Richard Stebbins..Bob Hayes
    Grambling 4x2...Vernus Ragsdale..Don Meadows..Don Owens..Richard Stebbins
    UCLA..Ron Copeland..Norm Jackson..Tom Jones..Hal Busby
    CPLSO...Rubin Smith..Jim Edmonton..Leo DeWinter..Cecil Turner
    Texas Southern...Arnoldo Bristol...blank?...Clyde Duncan..Jimmy Hines

Leave a comment:

• KevinM
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Avante
    started a topic Track & Field News

Track & Field News

It was after track practice back in 1965, on the way home me and our 4x1 anchorman (I ran the second leg) asked if I wanna to stop by for a coke. While there he checked the mail (as we approached his house), there were some letters and a magazine. Yep, the first time I discovered T&FN. I asked Eric if I could check it out. My first introduction to...Grambling, Texas Southern, Southern U. I did know about Hayes and Carr (having seen the 64 Olympics on TV) and could tell you who Jesse Owens was and was up on the local scene with Sam Davis at Edison and Darel Newman at Fresno St. That was about it however, I was just a kid. Still remember the big sprint showdown between Sam Davis and Roger Jones out of East Bakersfield at the Valley Championships.

Anyway....

I asked Eric if I could borrow his T&FN magazines/Newsletters, he was cool with it but his mom...nope! I was welcomed to hang out and study them there if I wanted to. So that's what I did. Every day after practice for about a week it was a coke and an hour or so of...Richard Stebbins Grambling, Freddy Banks Southern U, Hayes Jones Eastern Michigan, Sam Davis Edison??????...yep, there he was with his 9.6. After a few days Eric asked..."why don't you subscribe?"...so now it's..."hey dad old buddy buddy ". Haven't missed an issue since.

A few times (just happened) in all those years I'd not get my fix when I thought I should..."where's my T&FN as I got cold chills/shakes and the heebie jeebies "...which would end up with me calling the offices wimpering and wahwahing. In two days...BOOM!...my no questioned asked "special" just for me. Then the very next day here comes the one I thought was lost. I feel like a crook. I do have a scrapbook, without a picture of Yohan Blake...hmmmmm?

I have subscribed to SI, Sporting News, some rasslin' mags, Blues mags and Ring. Thanks to the internet I can get those fixes without a magazine to read, that can't be said about Track & Field News. The mag has become part of my thang, a ritual. Without it, I hate to even think that...ouch!
Working...
X