Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oh c'mon, SOMEBODY has to talk World Series!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh c'mon, SOMEBODY has to talk World Series!

have no rooting interest in either team, so only watching out of one eye, but holy shit was that eye busy tonite! One of the best Series games ever? (Cards down to last strike in both 9th and 10th, win in 11th? C'mon!)

Re: oh c'mon, SOMEBODY has to talk World Series!

Great game that continues what has been a terrific postseason. Heck, it really began with the last day of the regular season, with four games having playoff implications - including St. Louis. LaRussa's guys really picked him up tonight after The Smug One's monumental blunder that cost the Cards Game 5. Can't wait for tomorrow.

The only problem with tonight's masterpiece is it cost me dinner as I couldn't think of leaving the TV to grab something. Deciding right now if it's worth hitting an all night McDonalds at 1:30 lol
    There are no strings on me

Comment

Who's playing? :roll:

I used to be really into baseball - the 94 strike did me in.
      The 87 NFL strike cut my interest in the pros 80%. I still love the college game.
      NBA, no.
      NHL, no.
      MSL, moderate.
      T&F, always.

Comment

At the very beginning of a the series, a very good friend (who grew up near St. Louis) told me that he lucked out and had just bought tickets for Game 6. But, of course, there was no guarantee that there would BE a Game 6. He lucked out--that was one of the most amazing World Series games I could ever imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          Who's playing? :roll:

I used to be really into baseball - the 94 strike did me in.
          The 87 NFL strike cut my interest in the pros 80%. I still love the college game.
          NBA, no.
          NHL, no.
          MSL, moderate.
          T&F, always.
          I am unable to provide such blanket, definite statements regarding pro leagues. Here goes.

MLB - the Brewers and post-season - fair amount of interest.
          NFL - a lot, especially when it comes to the Packers (the Steelers remote second).
          NBA - pretty much only the Bucks, faint post-season otherwise.
          NHL - the Penguins, some post-season otherwise.
          MSL - faint interest in the Chicago Fire.

Oh yes, I managed to stay up through 6 innings (pc-ing between the game and the USA-Brazil Pan-Am basketball game on the deuce), missed all the heroics of late innings.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

My great grandpa died when I was just a little kid. He left all of us something. He left me a cigar box full of baseball cards. He knew I liked to play ball, it was football however. So there I am looking at these cards..

Walter "Big Train" Johnson
            Lou Gehrig
            Babe Ruth
            Ty Cobb

Ruth is on a knee resting on a bat. I do recall he had a 342 batting average.

I'm thinking....who? It's a sad sad story

Comment

I didn't watch any until game 5. After that I decided to watch game 6 only to see it rained out. Last night I watched through 4 1/2 innings only to have to go to a previous commitment at my church. It went on twice as long as expected and I get home minutes after the walk-off home run in what was one of the most dramatic finishes in WS history. Luckily, I got to follow some of it on my droid (not live but updates). I woke up feeling a bit cheated.

Texas and their fans will be haunted for quite some time if they don't win tonight. Twice down to one pitch in 2 separate innings from winning it all for a franchise begging for its first and coming up short both times. To have someone who himself would have been haunted by his boneheaded error come through with one clutch hit to save the game and then the walk-off winning HR was only poetic justice for him.

What a game!

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                At the very beginning of a the series, a very good friend (who grew up near St. Louis) told me that he lucked out and had just bought tickets for Game 6. But, of course, there was no guarantee that there would BE a Game 6. He lucked out--that was one of the most amazing World Series games I could ever imagine.
                Did anyone else notice that at the start of the game the announcers said in the history of the world series there had never been a walk-off home run for any game 6. I was thinking to myself, yeah, watch it happen in this game now. Are these guys prophetic, or is this stuff being scripted by someone.

Comment

Originally posted by odelltrclan
                  Did anyone else notice that at the start of the game the announcers said in the history of the world series there had never been a walk-off home run for any game 6. I was thinking to myself, yeah, watch it happen in this game now. Are these guys prophetic, or is this stuff being scripted by someone.
                  Uh... didn't Joe Carter hit a walk-off home run in the Game 6 of the 1993 Series?
                  Am I missing anything? :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965
                    Uh... didn't Joe Carter hit a walk-off home run in the Game 6 of the 1993 Series?
                    Am I missing anything? :roll:
                    Probably not!, maybe the announcers had their facts wrong, maybe I misheard? Though, I don't know why I would get a comment like that wrong as I am no trivia guru for baseball.

Comment

Did anyone else notice that at the start of the game the announcers said in the history of the world series there had never been a walk-off home run for any game 6.
                      Kirby Puckett did in game 6 of 1991.

Comment

Probably not!, maybe the announcers had their facts wrong, maybe I misheard? Though, I don't know why I would get a comment like that wrong as I am no trivia guru for baseball.
                        If that's what you heard, the announcers had it wrong.

If you were to read baseball websites similar to this site, you'd see that people are quite kind to Carol Lewis and Larry Rawson when compared to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
                          Did anyone else notice that at the start of the game the announcers said in the history of the world series there had never been a walk-off home run for any game 6.
                          Kirby Puckett did in game 6 of 1991.

Wow, i wasn't alive in '75, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Carlton Fisk's iconic home run replayed countless times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_World_Series#Game_6

Back on topic...As someone who currently lives and works in Saint Louis that no longer gives a crap about MLB, I'll be glad when this is over.

I will say that the fans here are pretty loyal though and deserve the series win.

Comment

I'd place it in the top four of memorable WS Game 6's with 1975, 1986, and 1991.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                              If that's what you heard, the announcers had it wrong.

If you were to read baseball websites similar to this site, you'd see that people are quite kind to Carol Lewis and Larry Rawson when compared to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver.
                              I think he said that there were only three Walk-offs in Game 6.

Comment

Working...
                              X