Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Davy Jones, 66

The first album I ever bought was the Monkees' second album More of the Monkees when I was 12.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... dies-at-66

Re: R.I.P. Davy Jones, 66

He (and the Pre-Fab 4) were better than the pop music critics give him/them credit for, even if they rarely (to begin with) played their own instruments. They were no Milli Vanilli!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      He (and the Pre-Fab 4) were better than the pop music critics give him/them credit for, even if they rarely (to begin with) played their own instruments. They were no Milli Vanilli!
      I agree with that sentiment. They had good songwriters. I really liked them alot as a teenager, though the show was a bit goofy but enjoyable, and I actually still enjoy listening to them occasionally.

As for not playing their own instruments in the recording studios, the Monkees were not the only ones. Which was something I only recently found out.

"The Wrecking Crew was not supposed to attract attention. Groups like the Beach Boys, the Byrds, the Monkees and many others didn’t care to point out why they sounded so much better on records than on the road. But Wrecking Crew members could work miracles, like the time when, with only three minutes’ worth of studio time allotted them, they played a first-take, no-glitch version of “The Little Old Lady From Pasadena.” As Roy Halee, Simon and Garfunkel’s engineer and co-producer, once said of a top Wrecking Crew bassist: “You never have to stop the tape because of a mistake by Joe Osborn. There just aren’t any.”

“The Wrecking Crew” cites a Byrds recording session for “Mr. Tambourine Man” when every Byrd except one — Roger McGuinn, then still known as Jim — was kicked out of the studio so that better musicians could fill in. '

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/20/books ... rew&st=cse

Comment

'Mr. Jones, a former jockey and stage actor, was a key member of the first and arguably the best of the pop groups created for television to capitalize on the success of the Beatles. Though they were not taken seriously at first, the Monkees made some exceptionally good pop records, thanks in large part to the songwriting of professional songwriters like Neil Diamond and Tommy Boyce.'

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/ ... -at-66/?hp

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
          http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/29/davy-jones-monkees-heartthrob-dies-at-66/?hp
          Wow - I did not know anything about the Wrecking Crew!!

Originally posted by Wiki
          The Wrecking Crew's members typically had backgrounds in jazz or classical music, but were highly versatile. The talents of this group of 'first call' players were used on almost every style of recording, including television theme songs, film scores, advertising jingles and almost every genre of American popular music, from The Monkees to Bing Crosby. Notable artists employing the Wrecking Crew's talents included Nancy Sinatra, Bobby Vee, The Partridge Family, The Mamas & the Papas, The Carpenters, The 5th Dimension, John Denver, The Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, and Nat King Cole.
          Members of 'The Wrecking Crew' included:
          guitar: Glen Campbell, Barney Kessel, Tommy Tedesco, Al Casey, Carol Kaye, Billy Strange, Don Peake, Howard Roberts, James Burton, Jerry Cole, Bill Aken, Mike Deasy, Doug Bartenfeld, Ray Pohlman, Bill Pitman, Irv Rubins
          saxophone: Steve Douglas, Jay Migliori, Jim Horn, Plas Johnson, Nino Tempo, Gene Cipriano
          trumpet: Roy Caton (contractor), Tony Terran, Ollie Mitchell
          trombone: Lou Blackburn, Richard "Slyde" Hyde, Lew McCreary
          keyboards: Leon Russell, Mac Rebennack (aka Dr. John), Mike Melvoin, Don Randi, Larry Knechtel, Al Delory, Mike (Michel) Rubini
          bass: Carol Kaye, Joe Osborn, Max Bennett, Chuck Berghofer, Ray Pohlman, Larry Knechtel, Lyle Ritz, Red Callender, Jimmy Bond (007), Bill Pitman
          drums: Hal Blaine, Earl Palmer, Jim Gordon
          percussion: Julius Wechter, Gary L. Coleman, Frank Capp (contractor)
          conductor/arranger: Jack Nitzsche
          harmonica: Tommy Morgan
          The Ron Hicklin Singers often performed backup vocals on many of the same songs on which The Wrecking Crew had played instrumental tracks.

Comment

Wrecking Crew part of this discussion last year

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41339

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Wrecking Crew part of this discussion last year
              viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41339
              Indeed - good stuff

Originally posted by cullman
              There is a documentary film on The Wrecking Crew making the rounds. 8-)
              Link: The Wrecking Crew - Trailer

Comment

I remember that thread, but I didn't realize the extent WC, which was just a nickname, was involved as back up musicians until that NYTimes article. It was common knowledge the Monkees were not playing on their early albums, primarily because they complained about it. But the Byrds(other than Roger McGuinn)? Wow, that was a surprise.

Comment

I must have heard 4 or 5 different radio stations "salute" Davy Jones by playing "Last Train to Clarksville" today. You'd think they'd pick a tune he sang lead on. "Daydream Believer" being the most logical choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                    'Mr. Jones, a former jockey and stage actor, was a key member of the first and arguably the best of the pop groups created for television to capitalize on the success of the Beatles. Though they were not taken seriously at first, the Monkees made some exceptionally good pop records, thanks in large part to the songwriting of professional songwriters like Neil Diamond and Tommy Boyce.'

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/ ... -at-66/?hp
                    Beatles lite, very, very lite.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
                      Indeed! Think about all the stuff we could much rather listen to in the 60's

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
                        Yea, so what? No one was comparing the Monkees to the Beatles, or any other group for that matter.

Comment

[quote=Conor Dary]
                          Originally posted by "Per Andersen":1c2cp5ui
                          Yea, so what? No one was comparing the Monkees to the Beatles, or any other group for that matter.[/quote:1c2cp5ui]

the Monkees made some exceptionally good pop records,
                          Tsk, tsk.

Comment

Pre-Fab 4? The Beatles hit years before da Monkeys.
                            phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                              Pre-Fab 4? The Beatles hit years before da Monkeys.
                              Ha, Duh..., The Monkees came out because of the Beatles, and the movie Help!.

Comment

Working...
                              X