• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R.I.P. Davy Jones, 66

Originally posted by Conor Dary
    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    Originally posted by Marlow
    He (and the Pre-Fab 4) were better than the pop music critics give him/them credit for, even if they rarely (to begin with) played their own instruments. They were no Milli Vanilli!
    Pre-Fab 4? The Beatles hit years before da Monkeys.
    Ha, Duh..., The Monkees came out because of the Beatles, and the movie Help!.
    After further review...Davy Jones may have appeared on the Ed Sullivan show a few minutes before the Beatles on February 9, 1964. A YouTube search of "Davy Jones Artful Dodger" will bring up the clip.

cman

Comment

Originally posted by cullman
      After further review...Davy Jones may have appeared on the Ed Sullivan show a few minutes before the Beatles on February 9, 1964. A YouTube search of "Davy Jones Artful Dodger" will bring up the clip.
      cman
      Appearing with the cast of “Oliver!” on “The Ed Sullivan Show,” Mr. Jones had a transformative moment. After the cast sang, he heard wild cheering. But alas it was not for them: it was for the Beatles, also booked on the show that day.

“I thought: Is that what happens when you’re a pop singer?” Mr. Jones told The Palm Beach Post in 2004. “I want to be part of that!”

And I forgot about this.

"Perhaps Mr. Jones’s most enduring legacy takes the form of a name. The name belongs to another English musician, who burst on the scene some years after the Monkees. This man, too, had been born David Jones. But thanks to the Monkees’ renown, he knew he would have to adopt another name entirely if he was to have the hope of a career.

So he called himself David Bowie."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/01/arts/ ... nes&st=cse

Comment

I think the "pre" in "pre-fab four" has a different meaning in this context to the one applied by some of the members of this forum. "Pre-fab" housing in the uk refers predominantly to cheaply built, quickly manufactured housing common in post-war Britain when the priority was to throw up housing to replace destroyed housing stock. In the context of the monkees, "pre fab" refers to the cheaply manufactured nature of the group.

I loved the monkees as a kid, it was repeated in the 80s in the uk and was still very funny, great music too (daydream believer, randy scouse git, stepping stone etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Rog
          I think the "pre" in "pre-fab four" has a different meaning in this context to the one applied by some of the members of this forum. "Pre-fab" housing in the uk refers predominantly to cheaply built, quickly manufactured housing common in post-war Britain when the priority was to throw up housing to replace destroyed housing stock. In the context of the monkees, "pre fab" refers to the cheaply manufactured nature of the group.

I loved the monkees as a kid, it was repeated in the 80s in the uk and was still very funny, great music too (daydream believer, randy scouse git, stepping stone etc)
          Yep, pre- fabricated, I think thats it.
          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
            Originally posted by gh
            Wrecking Crew part of this discussion last year
            viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41339
            Indeed - good stuff

Originally posted by cullman
            There is a documentary film on The Wrecking Crew making the rounds. 8-)
            Link: The Wrecking Crew - Trailer
            Story about the documentary in my paper yesterday. Good read.

http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/W ... 410952.php

Comment

Others in the Wrecking Crew list who need an underscore:
              Nino Tempo - as in the duet of Deep Purple with April Stevens and Dr. John !

Comment

Carole Kaye claims, rather pointedly, that the name "The Wrecking Crew" was made up by Hal Blaine in 1990 long after the fact. There was no such thing as "The Wrecking Crew" during the time the 350-400 musicians (as claimed by Ms. Kaye) performed anonymously. She and Hal, based on her comments, did not get along all that well.

Comment

absolutely one of the great voices the era.

Comment

Working...
                  X