Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Avengers

[no, this is not about Emma Peel; not that that wouldn't be way cool too!]

So this mega-block-buster is anticipated to be the next world-wide $BILLION film. Even the crustiest national reviewers are high on it. I'm seeing it tonight and as a closet (or not-so) fan-boy, I'm already putting it in my Top-10 films of the decade!! :wink: :twisted: 8-)

Re: The Avengers

You're a box office round heels Marlow. Vox populi and excellence rarely go together. Certainly not in the entertainment world where the barely post pubescents rule.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
      You're a box office round heels Marlow. Vox populi and excellence rarely go together. Certainly not in the entertainment world where the barely post pubescents rule.
      You err. Here's the American Film Institutes's (as high-brow as you get) 10 best of all-time. Many (most? ALL?!) of them were box-office hits.

1. CITIZEN KANE
      2. CASABLANCA
      3. THE GODFATHER
      4. GONE WITH THE WIND
      5. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
      6. THE WIZARD OF OZ
      7. THE GRADUATE
      8. ON THE WATERFRONT
      9. SCHINDLER'S LIST
      10. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN

Comment

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOW

Once one has made the cinematic distiction between film (art) and movies (entertainment), I think I can safely say this is THE best comic book movie ever made (which heretofore was Dark Knight Returns, so if you didn't like that, you may return to your regularly scheduled internet browsing). It has great humor (the Hulk gets the best scenes), non-stop action, state-of-the-art CGI, a plot that makes (some) sense and characters that are easily engageable. Best of all, it really is greater than the sum of it (mega-buck) parts. Its wry camp style makes it fun, funny and 'believable' - in the way that comic book fans understand. It will gross WELL over $1,000,000,000 world-wide, because it invites repeat screenings to catch all that is crammed into the frame (it reminds me of the LotR trilogy in that regard, though even I will admit LotR surpasses it in epic scope).

I'll go see it again, in a month or two, and yes, it will still be in your local megaplex well through the summer.

Comment

I don't know your definition of "well over" but the list of films that has grossed over 1.1 billion has exactly five entries. I think I will counter your optimism, with I bet you it doesn't gross more in the US or worldwide (in 2012) than Hunger Games does.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
            You err. Here's the American Film Institutes's (as high-brow as you get) 10 best of all-time. Many (most? ALL?!) of them were box-office hits.

1. CITIZEN KANE
            2. CASABLANCA
            3. THE GODFATHER
            4. GONE WITH THE WIND
            5. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
            6. THE WIZARD OF OZ
            7. THE GRADUATE
            8. ON THE WATERFRONT
            9. SCHINDLER'S LIST
            10. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
            I think only one (9) was made in last 20 years. Are you seriously equating today's box office receipts to high quality? Sure once in awhile a box office smash equates to a good movie, but todays boffo numbers equate with the average taste of the under 30 crowd.

Comment

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOW

Once one has made the cinematic distiction between film (art) and movies (entertainment), I think I can safely say this is THE best comic book movie ever made
              Nuff said. :roll:

Comment

I thought it dragged a little bit at the start but once it got going it was very enjoyable and the Hulk in this movie is light-years ahead of previous film versions. Might go back and see it in 3D too.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2
                  I don't know your definition of "well over" but the list of films that has grossed over 1.1 billion has exactly five entries. I think I will counter your optimism, with I bet you it doesn't gross more in the US or worldwide (in 2012) than Hunger Games does.
                  Oooooh, that's a bet!! In its 6th week, Hunger Games is at $600 million: 370 domestic and 230 rest-of-world. Avengers will be well over 400M domestic by its 6th week and close (if not over) 400 more world-wide, as it closes in on the Big B.

Comment

At one point I had the first 15-odd years of The Avengers (including #1, from September of '63) in my collection. Sold most of them after a divorce :-(

Definitely missed the comics more than her.

Comment

1. CITIZEN KANE
                      2. CASABLANCA
                      3. THE GODFATHER
                      4. GONE WITH THE WIND
                      5. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
                      6. THE WIZARD OF OZ
                      7. THE GRADUATE
                      8. ON THE WATERFRONT
                      9. SCHINDLER'S LIST
                      10. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
                      Actually, that's the ’97 version. Here's the ’07, with the last column showing where they rated 10 years before. The list is very fluid, certainly not graved in stone.

1 Citizen Kane 1941 1
                      2 The Godfather 1972 3
                      3 Casablanca 1942 2
                      4 Raging Bull 1980 24
                      5 Singin' in the Rain 1952 10
                      6 Gone with the Wind 1939 4
                      7 Lawrence of Arabia 1962 5
                      8 Schindler's List 1993 9
                      9 Vertigo 1958 61
                      10 The Wizard of Oz 1939 6

Comment

That's kind of douchy comment. There's nothing wrong with soft-minded fun. Come join us unwashed masses sometime, you might like it.
                        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

for a version from the washed masses (unlike the unwashed, they take time to vote with something other than a ticket stub), here's the IMDB leaders. 14 deep, cuz of ties at 8.8.

Rank Rating Title Votes
                          1. 9.2 The Shawshank Redemption (1994) 751,007
                          2. 9.2 The Godfather (1972) 559,943
                          3. 9.0 The Godfather: Part II (1974) 353,405
                          4. 8.9 Pulp Fiction (1994) 591,248
                          5. 8.9 The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) 234,170
                          6. 8.9 12 Angry Men (1957) 184,362
                          7. 8.9 Schindler's List (1993) 395,172
                          8. 8.8 The Dark Knight (2008) 686,939
                          9. 8.8 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) 529,039
                          10. 8.8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) 318,239
                          11. 8.8 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) 382,210
                          12. 8.8 Fight Club (1999) 570,966
                          13. 8.8 Seven Samurai (1954) 127,607
                          14. 8.8 Inception (2010) 542,442

Comment

oh, and just to make 26,385 ecstatic, I'm happy to report that IMDB calculates its rankings not just by an average of the votes. They do this!

<<The formula for calculating the Top Rated 250 Titles gives a true Bayesian estimate:

weighted rating (WR) = (v ÷ (v+m)) × R + (m ÷ (v+m)) × C
                            where:
                            R = average for the movie (mean) = (Rating)
                            v = number of votes for the movie = (votes)
                            m = minimum votes required to be listed in the Top 250 (currently 3000)
                            C = the mean vote across the whole report (currently 6.9)>>

Comment

IMDB ratings are no more high-brow than box office receipts. Like a true populist site, everyone - washed and unwashed - has an equal vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X