Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top This PR!

<<What does irk me about the "magic of the market" is how the oil companies boost their profit margins at the expense of everyone else. I don't begrudge them a profit, but why kick us when we're down. Besides, they don't believe in the free market except as it allows them to price-gouge - but give them a shot at gov't subsidies of any kind and they are the first pigs at the trough.>>

That's kind of how the free market works -- a company charges as much as people are willing and able to pay.

And by the way, YES, there were gasoline price controls during the Carter administration.

Comment

Garry's old implement was intrinsically superior to his new one?

Comment

"You're both part right. If I remember correctly, crude oil price controls were introduced by Nixon and retained by Ford and Carter. There's no indication No Name intended to spin his comment to avoid attaching blame equally to Republicans and Democrats, although that's a tactic that's been tried--especially laughable since Nixon's total package of wage/price controls was far more comprehensive than what the Carter administration left in place."

I'm happy to place part of the blame on Nixon. I'll admit it: I am a conservative.

Richard Nixon was NOT an economic conservative by today's standards. In the 1970s, both parties were well to the left of where centrist Democrats stand today (in terms of economic policy). I think that Nixon's economic policies were as horrendous as Carter's.

I believe it was Nixon who said, "We are all Keynesians now." What a joke. That was the recipe for stagflation, unemployment, and sluggish growth throughout the 1970s.

Then Reagan arrived and fixed all that. Uh-oh, I'm sure I'll get bombarded by the liberals now.

Comment

Nixon certainly was not a Bush sort of Republican (I've never been exactly sure WHAT Nixon was.) He took draconian measures in the early '70's -- things that were probably unconstitutional such as an absolute freeze on prices and wages and all that gas rationing based on even or odd license plate numbers. How'd it work? Not very well in the long run I believe. What's it got to do with track and field? Well, we didn't do very well at the '72 Olympics so that must mean that price and wage controls are counter-productive to American track and field programs. Right? Is there an economics equation that demonstrates the relationship?

Comment

>Garry's old implement was intrinsically superior to his new one?>>

Yeah, they moved the center of gravity on the grip forward by a couple of inches.

Comment

>we didn't do very well at the '72 Olympics so that must mean that price and wage controls are counter-productive to American track and field
              programs. Right?<

Right! Post hoc ergo propter hoc. Makes sense to me. :-)

Comment

I do bike to work, and then run after getting home. In attempting to remain marginally competitive (especially in my age group) I often wonder how many "running miles" my biking is worth? I am on the bike just over an hour 5 days a week- it takes much longer getting home as there is alot of uphill. Any guestimates?
                (If my bike effort is the same as my easy run effort, the hour is worth about 7+ miles a day, which seems like too much. So I figure about 5 a day.)

Comment

>I do bike to work, and then run after getting home. In attempting to remain
                  >n marginally competitive (especially in my age group) I often wonder how many
                  >"running miles" my biking is worth? I am on the bike just over an hour 5
                  >days a week- it takes much longer getting home as there is alot of uphill. Any
                  >guestimates?

This is very quick and dirty but based on years of periodic injury induced biking. I think that you have to basically double the time on the bike to get the equivalent to running. So if you typically cover 8 miles in an hour on a run-call it 4 on the bike for an hour.

Comment

To MJD and No Name especially: What bothers me about the oil companies - and most Republicans - is the hypocrisy of ranting and raving against gov't regulation because they believe, they claim, in the "magic of the market," but when it comes to subsidies and tax breaks just for them, they suddenly forget the market's magic. So they LIE - is there any other word for it? - when they claim to believe in free markets. Libertarians, by contrast, are consistent - no regulation and no help.

Comment

Biking miles are worth virtually zero running miles! Specificity of exercise means that biking provides virtually no training benefit that will help your running. Sure, if you took a cyclist who rides 100miles/day and have them race a couch potato over a mile, the cyclist will win, but if you're a runner, you need to run in order to improve. Cycling will do very little.

Comment

>Biking miles are worth virtually zero running miles!

I meant from a calorie burning perspective. But there is no question that you can work your aerobic system on a bike which, if maintained, allows you get back up to speed much quicker after an injury.

Comment

huh? the aerobic benefits are great and the running muscles get some time off.

Comment

>My hope is that is slows down the sales of SUVs;

Unfortunately, when the hybrid SUVs hit the market this fall, it will give people "incentive" to keep them. These vehicles will have the gas mileage of regular cars, which is a bit of an improvement, but...

Also, some people will never give up their Hummers, which will *not* be hybridized -- although Gov. Ahnold has promised to upgrade his to a hydrogen fuel cell when the technology is available...

Comment

Geoff-very little of what I said was anything other than a recitation of the facts. I didn't weigh in on whether it was good or bad. Don't you realize that almost 100% of canucks would find Kerry much too far to the right-Bush would get 15% of the vote apparently? Although I have already stated my bias. I am overweight in oil.

Comment

>Garry's old implement was intrinsically superior to his new one?

I believe you guys still mix up intrinsic and extrinsic.

ex: A 3:35.0 1500 is ___________ superior to a 3:55.0 mile.
                                A) intrinsically
                                B) extrinsically

SOME LINKS FOR THE GASOLINE PRICE TOPIC
                                http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/gasprices/FAQ.shtml

http://perryx2.com/oilprice.html

http://www.ghg.net/stuart/gasprice/gasprice.html

http://www.wtrg.com/prices.htm

http://www.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandf ... w246.shtml

Comment

Working...
                                X